Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows7 / Microsoft Word 2010 problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Manolis

Manolis

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hello there!

My name is Manolis, I am 33 years old and I come from Greece.

Lately I see this message whenever I open Microsoft Word 2010:

"Microsoft Office Activation Wizard

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010

This copy of Microsoft Office is not activated. If this software was not purchased for corporate or institutional use, it may be counterfeit.  Using counterfeit software exposes your computer and data to increased security risks, including viruses.

Change Product Key

Error Code: 0x8007232B"

When the Word document actually opens, it has a red headline on the top of the screen that says: " Compatibility Mode-Microsoft Word (Product Activation Failed).

What should I do?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Where did you get the program, is it legitimate or from a torrent download?

See this article:

Frequently asked questions about the Office Activation Wizard

#3 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:30 AM

Hello there!

Thank you for the link! Actually, I believe Microsoft Word 2010 was already installed in the laptop when I bought it. I didn't download it.

Following some directions from Microsoft Office "Set up Help", I found a 25 character product key at the basis of my laptop. I entered the product key but after checking for a while it says: "Sorry this isn't a Microsoft Office 2010 product key. You may be entering a product key from another version of office".

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

All the information you set out  in Post #1 could point to an illegal install, not saying that it is.

The product key on your laptop would usually relate to the OS install.

You need to find the key for your Office program - there are many keyfinder programs available, which you can find by Googling.

However, if you download the following program and run it, it will give you the details of the software licences for the programs on your laptop.  You can then try the 25 digit key which it should display for Office.

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.4)

Edit - I suppose I should have said '25 Character Product Key'.

Edited by petewills , 13 November 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#5 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

Hi there! Thank you for your reply! :-)

I downloaded Belarc Advisor and istalled it. I found the Software license for Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010. It says:

"Microsoft - Office Professional Plus 2010    82503-018-0000106-48522 (Key: none activated)".

When I am trying to enter this number at the "Enter your product key tab", it says that "5 is not a valid character in product key".

The point is that Word was working fine up to a certain moment and then suddenly these messages started to appear. I recently had a virus removed from the laptop. Could it have anything to do with that? Should I try to find the manuals from when I bought the laptop? Maybe I could find there the license number?

Thank you so much for your help!

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Hello, Manolis

Did the problem start before or after the virus removal.
How was the virus removed, (do you know what it was) and what programs were run by you, or someone else to deal with it. Were any registry cleaners used, or Combofix.   Did your laptop come with any disks at all, for recovery

The product key is 5 groups of 5 letters and numbers and would appear (in Belarc) in brackets after the 20 digits.
Unfortunately, it confirms non-activation. The key for Office is not in the laptop manual.

If the program was pre-installed, can you contact the sellers.

I have seen this problem, where Office has been installed and activated with a non-microsoft, third party activator.
Office can then run for 180 days, then requires re-activation. This happens where the install is not legitimate.

You may just have to contact Microsoft, but they will want to know, how the program was installed and activated, if you have no disk or a purchased product key.

I would contact the sellers first, if this is an option. They must have some kind of volume licence, if all is legitimate.

[Forum rules do not permit me to tell you how to activate the program, where there is doubt as to legitimacy.]

Edited by petewills , 14 November 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#7 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:04 AM

Pete hi! Thanks for your reply! :-)

Unfrotunately I don't remember If the Microsoft problem preceded the virus problem or vice versa. Truth is it seems I had the virus for a long time in my laptop before I did all the necessary actions to clean the laptop. I removed the virus with a help from a technician and the programs that were run were various like: Security Check, Farbar Service Scanner, Mini Tool Box, MalwareBytes AntiMalware, MalwareBytes Antirootkit and others. I also had to reset Firefox. It seems that the problem was with a virus in Java and Adobe Flash Player but I am not completely sure.

Is it possible that I had an earlier version of Microsoft that expired and when it was updated to Microsoft 2010 I didn't have the product key for this version?

In any case I wiil contact the company that I bought the laptop from and I will let you know what they told me.

All the best!

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hello, Manolis

You can never be sure what effect the virus problem had on the installed programs; hopefully the cleanup was completely successful after running all those programs. (Thanks for all the information).

Only the sellers can confirm what was originally installed, when you bought the laptop, unless you have the sales receipt. It will be interesting to see what they say. They should not charge you for putting it right, IMO. 
Don't know how things work over there, should be the same as here, as we're both in the EU, (unfortunately).

You would need another product key, if you had Upgraded to a LATER version of Office, but if you were only updating through Microsoft Updates, the updates would only have been offered for the version installed on your laptop, that has been my experience, anyway.

Edited by petewills , 15 November 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#9 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:53 AM

Pete hi! I am sorry for the late reply.

I don't know either what the virus might have affected. The point is that I bought this laptop 2-3 years ago and Microsoft Office was running smoothly until few months ago. I don't know what happened....

In any case I am going to call them on Monday and let you know as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for your interest and help!

All the best! :-)

#10 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

Hello there!

Well I called the company and they told me that Microsoft Office was installed in a compatibility mode and If I wanted the extended version I would have to contact Microsoft and buy the product. When I told them that I bought the laptop 3 years ago and for 2,5 years Microsoft Office was working ok and it started showing these messages a few months ago, they said that I probably asked for some extended applications of the programme that the compatibility option does not include. When I told them that I was just using the same functions of Word and no extended applications, they started replying the same thing without listening to me. So I hung up.It seems that some companies have suddenly decided to make more money...

Anyway, I don't have the money to buy the extended version so I will just stick to the compatibility mode. I will probably make another post in the future about installing the software of a printer in the laptop but I guess this will be the topic of another post.

Thank you so much for your help and your time!!

All the best!

#11 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hello Manolis

Well that sounds a bit like BS, not come across this before.

See this about compatibilty mode:

[I have the free MS Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System, to enable me to open files from later Office versions, in my Office Pro 2003 edition, as that is what is running on my old desktop.]

They've fobbed you off, IMO;  it's not a compatibility mode question - it's activation and all of a sudden, you are told that you must activate the product.  Extensions normally apply where you have a trial version, but you have previously used the program for over 2 years.

If you want to take it further, I seriously suggest you contact Microsoft, explain the position fully and ask their advice.

If you get nowhere, you could try the free LibreOffice.        http://www.libreoffice.org/

#12 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Pete hi! Thank you once again for your reply! :-)

I followed the instructions of the first link and I believe I solved the compatibility mode problem. Now it's just says "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 requires a valid product license. Activate your product key to obtain a valid product license".

I think I will contact Microsoft to see what they are going to tell me. I will let you know as soon as possible. Thank you for the LibreOffice link as well!

All the best!

#13 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:13 AM

Hello there!

Well I called Microsoft and they told me that the product ID of Microsoft Office that I have is for companies and organizations and not for customers. It seems that this product ID has been leaked out on the internet and that's why Microsoft has blocked it. They advised me to ask the shop where I bought the laptop. The shop's customer service telephone doesn't work...so I guess I have to go there and ask them in person. They also told me that this has nothing to do with the virus of the laptop.

Thank you for your time and I will let you know what happened.

All the best!

#14 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hi Manolis

The shop is at fault and should fix the problem.  You have leverage as MS has confirmed the position.
So much for the shop's pathetic attempt to put you off. They should be worried that MS has been informed.
Stick to your guns and do not take 'no' for an answer.

Regards, Pete.

#15 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Pete hi! Thank you for your answer! :-)

Well I went to the shop and I explained the situation but of course they don't assume any responsibility for this. They told me it's the fault of the production company. I called them again and they told me that for the specific laptop there was only a trial version of Microsoft Office and If I wanted the extended version I should buy the product. When I explained to them that it's not possible to have the trial version for two years, they started repeating the same thing.... They only got a bit scared when I told them that I had contacted Microsoft on the issue. Nevertheless they don't accept the responsibility...

In any case, thank you so much for your help and your time! I will keep using the trial version of Word and if it stops working I may use Libre Office.

All the best!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users