Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winzip 18 install removed all the desktop and user info

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jkdempsey

jkdempsey

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

When my wife installed winzip 18 from their website onto her lenovo, it installed AVG security toolbar and when the system restarted it first went into safemode and was froze up. rebooting then went to chkdsk which I let run and it deleted 4 indexes. Once this cleared it started up abeit very slowly. I used revo to remove AVG, but revo cannot show winzip 18 whereas windows uninstall does.

The whole desktop now is like it came from the factory...now files, folders or programs that were there, and the screensaver is the factory. Funny thing too is on the lower right hand corner of the desktop is says, "Windows 7   Build 7601   This copy of Windows is not genuine"

I ran MBAM and no threats were found.

I don't know if this is a malware issue or perhaps a Lenovo issue...Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

James

Edited by bloopie, 14 November 2013 - 03:12 PM.
Moved topic from logs forum. No logs posted. ~bloopie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkdempsey

jkdempsey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

The computer reverted to it's original configuration and is asking for me to register windows....Lenovo does not cover software after a year. All my restore points are gone. I can access the old user through file manager, under users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users