Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tasutope.dll

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ed III

Ed III

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi, have received a couple of "BSODs" and HjackThis picked up one item under "020" which was tasutope.dll. Understand it is a baddie; however, I can not find it in a file search to delete. So is it bad and, if so, how can I fix?

Thanks for any input, Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Hi Ed, this appears to be a malware in autoruns. Possibly from an Email worm.

I do not know your Operating system so back so your registry.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message. -->>> tasutope.dll
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ed III

Ed III
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

OK, thanks, I will give these items a try. BTW, my operating system in Win XP; should have added that to the original post, Ed

#4 Ed III

Ed III
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Boopme, thanks,

I found the registry location for the dll and deleted it, rebooted and it was gone off the list. Ran rkill.com and it did stuff; however, looking at the log I did not actually see the dll name, but I assume it is gone. Everything seems normal. If I see anything else happen I will repost.

Again thanks for the quick response to my issue, Ed

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

You're welcome Ed. It should be gone.

If you want to be sure you are clean, run these also.

ADW Cleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin to scan your computer like it did before.
  • After the scan has finished...
    <-insert any special instructions here for what to uncheck OR remove this line if there are none->
  • This time click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
  • Last run ESET.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
  • Scan potentially unwanted applications
  • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
  • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Ed III

Ed III
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

Boopme, ran those extra ones and got some tool bar stuff eliminated. Wow, Eset took a long time. Anyway thanks again, Ed

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for coming by!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users