Hi Ed, this appears to be a malware in autoruns. Possibly from an Email worm.
I do not know your Operating system so back so your registry.Backing Up Your Registry
- Go Here and download ERUNT
(ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
- Install ERUNT by following the prompts
(use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
- Start ERUNT
(either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
- Choose a location for the backup
(the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
- Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
- Press OK
- Press YES to create the folder.
For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986
To resolve this, download Autoruns
, search for the related entry and then delete it.
Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here
if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe
to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready
at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message. -->>> tasutope.dll
Right-click on the entry and choose delete
your computer and see if the startup error returns.
Please download Rkill
by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
- Link 1
- Link 2
- Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
- If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
- A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
- If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
- If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
- If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
- Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.