Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer powers on but won't boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jen626

Jen626

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

My desktop PC has been having trouble starting up.  If you turn it on, the power light lights up and the fans spin, lights on the mobo light up and the dvd drive can open and close, but that's it.  The mobo lights turn off after a few minutes.  The led light under the power on light also flickers, I believe that is for the hard drive? There is no POST, just a black screen that acts like it does when the monitor is disconnected. The weird thing is that every once in awhile it actually DOES boot up, load Windows and work fine, usually after it has been running for 5-10 minutes.  I try a few times a day to start it up since on rare occasions it does.

I am not super tech savvy, does this seem like a power supply issue? Would it do that where it occasionally works just fine?  I thought of the graphics card too but again, sometimes the computer works just fine.  Also, I have had a graphics card go out before and Windows would still load, you could hear the startup song, just not see anything.   

I have tried several things including checking all connections inside and out, removing all external hardware except PS/2 keyboard and mouse, I have hit the CMOS CLR button, tried a different power cord, power outlet and monitor all with no luck. 

This is a homebuilt PC, i7 930 2.8 ghz processor, 6 gb Crucial Ballistix DDr3 1333 ram, x2 Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1 gb graphics cards, 750 watt Corsair HX750 power supply, Coolermaster HAF 932 case, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobo, running Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Thanks for any help -Jen

Edited by Jen626, 12 November 2013 - 01:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

It sounds like you could have one of a couple issues, check the RAM frequency in the BIOS, if it is reading wrong (specifcally higher than the rated) it may cause this intermittant issue.

The CPU may not be seated entirely, or may have something on one of the pins that prevents consistant connection, try removing it, carefully cleaning it if needed, and reseating firmly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users