Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does a linux live dvd become less safe over time.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zone out

Zone out

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

I sometime use a Linux live dvd, currently mint 15, so it's about six months old now. Since the dvd can't be updated is this a security issue?

And a related question if I make a new mint 15 dvd now would it include all current updates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

Since it does not write to hdd, there should be no security issue.

Newer releases would contain later updates/ different programs/ etc.

But if you are just using the tools and surfing the web, not planning to install....no need to get the latest release.

If you do online banking....a Live CD is the most secure.

EDIT:  Just read this....Banking malware infections rise to highest level since 2002 | PCWorld

Edited by buddy215, 12 November 2013 - 08:34 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

The only issue would be security exploits. As you're still using a browser any vulnerabilities it has at the time you made the live cd/dvd will still exist. The older the version the greater the risk. However if you just boot from the disk, connect to your bank, then log-off and reboot you should be fine. No chance for a hijacked site to inject anything. In the future try using a lockable USB key or rewritable disk so updating isn't as big of an issue. Regards, Zen

#4 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the advice.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,675 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

EDIT:  Just read this....Banking malware infections rise to highest level since 2002 | PCWorld

Looks like a window's only problem, Booting from a read only CD/DVD No multi session No hard drive no usb is safe. The only danger I can see and this would be a problem on Window's Mac and Linux is if somebody intercepted the traffic between your pc and your ISP and the bank. There is no way they can install anything on your pc that would survive a reboot.

Prove me wrong.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517787/is-safe-and-secure-web-browsing-a-myth/

Edited by NickAu1, 11 March 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

While I would certainly agree that the newer the release the better & at the time Mint 15 is their latest release, that doesn't mean that all of the older ones are totally unsafe.

However if it's "too old", the browser won't meet the minimum security requirements for many transactions. Every new browser has in addition to new features, higher levels of security & possible leaks in the prior addressed. Mint 15 should be good. Mint 9, released in 2010, is no longer supported & while may be perfectly fine for web browsing, wouldn't be a good choice for making transactions, even if one could do so. Notably, it has an old version of Java, which many in the IT industry recommends to remove if not needed.

As NickAu1 has stated, this is a Windows problem. And it's not like Trend Micro is the first to catch on to new threats, nor does the best job of cleanup, being that the PC World article was based on their report. Many financial institutions & even governments relies Linux, not Windows, for their needs. Plus not a one of the top 20 supercomupeters are Windows powered.

The US Air Force even has their own Live CD, Linux based, in standard & deluxe versions, for PAE & non-PAE (older) computers. There was a new one released last month, which I downloaded & created a new bootable Live CD from & I discarded my old one, plus the ISO image. I created a thread about it a few days ago.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528545/new-lightweight-portable-security-releasedhot/

To be on the safe side, the newer the better. It is still important to remember, that there is no guaranteed security in public "hotspots" or businesses where wi-fi is on the house & that it's possible for your work to be intercepted by theives. The Live CD/DVD in that respect, is like every other computer on that connection. It's still best security practice to be on a private network (preferably your own) with WPA-PSK2 protection or greater on the router.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users