Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't load Bitdefender 2013 because can't uninstall AVAST

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JRDPHD

JRDPHD

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Am completely stumped on how to proceed further in attempting to load Bitdefender 2013 on an Acer laptop that shows absolutely no indication of any residual AVAST files anywhere on the computer other than in the Bitdefender installer itself.  I've used Avast's uninstaller (which left all kinds of folders that showed up with doing a simple search via windows explorer for "avast".  I've restarted the computer at strategic points, etc.  NOTHING seems to work.  And Bitdefender tech just keeps telling me to do the same thing over and over.  I've sent them my data twice after using the bitdefendersupporttool, to no avail.

Would much appreciate any guidance or suggestions.  REally love Bitdefender, and have already paid for the license.  And they want to charge me as much as I paid for the licenses to get the advanced tech support to pursue the problem further!

Help!

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2013 - 02:10 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

is that avast toolbar gone also?

#3 JRDPHD

JRDPHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'm assuming you mean the browser toolbar that AVAST tries to foist on you with its "Gadget" feature hidden in the automatic install.   Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with this because I've always used the customized install and deleted the Gadget install.  However, your point is well taken, since AVAST does have a security extension for each browser.  I've made sure that the extension was disabled and deleted as part of removing AVAST manually, and I still get the "can't install bitdefender"  message.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

Heres a few reg keys avast has,  check to see if any of those services are still running

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ALWIL Software

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Aavmker4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswMon2\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswTdi\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswUpdSv\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_AAVMKER4\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWMON2\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWTDI\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASWUPDSV\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_AVAST!_ANTIVIRUS\

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast\

#5 JRDPHD

JRDPHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Thanks very much!  Time for bed now, but will look for these at my first opportunity and get back to you.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hi

I don't recommend to manually remove Avast by editing registry. You may ended up with an unbootable system. Please use the "Avast removal tool" from safe mode and your issue will be solved.

http://www.avast.com/en-in/uninstall-utility

The utility should be run from safe mode otherwise services may not be reomved properly.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 November 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#7 JRDPHD

JRDPHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hi Anshad, thanks for joining in.  

Unfortunately, that is not what I found.  I have used the utility you mention MULTIPLE times, (always in Safe mode and rebooting afterwards), and to no avail.  

I agree that editing the registry is risky, and it's the only step no one has offered to me previously.  It was because of this sort of thing that I had requested that Bitdefender tech support use remote support to explore exactly such a possibility.  But they were not willing to do that without making me pay virtually as much for that "escalated" support as I paid originally for the whole (program and 3 licenses (even though we are talking about the INITIAL INSTALATION of the program).

At this point, I'm willing to risk simply doing a regedit search for the suggested keys, and then determine how to deal with them most safely if they are there.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hi

As a precaution, create a "System Restore Point" and backup your registry using "Registry backup tool". 

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

#9 JRDPHD

JRDPHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thanks very much for the reminder and link.  Will be back in action tomorrow when i get back from my day job.  :0)

#10 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

The absolute easiest way to get rid of avast is to reinstall avast then use their uninstaller. This will get rid of

everything so you can install bitdefender.

Those keys I posted are only just a few of many. I wouldn't mess with the registry. Just check those services

through the service applet.

Edited by Roodo, 12 November 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

After reininstalling avast, go to Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel, select 'avast! Anti-Virus, click the Change/Remove button...when the avast Free Setup GUI opens, click Uninstall. Be sure to reboot when done.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users