Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some help with file corruption

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 HDTF

HDTF

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

My computer recently has started not letting me open certain files, whether on my hard drive/desktop, or on a portable hard drive plugged in via USB.  Sometimes it's jpg's, sometimes it is .doc, .xls files, .pdf etc....

If it is a photo, it doesn't give a thumbnail preview, and gives me the message: "Windows photo viewer cannot open this picture because the file appears to be damaged, corrupted, or is too large".  If it's a PDF, or a doc, it says it is an "unsupported file type" or the file has been damaged.  If it's a .DOC or .XLS it will try to open some document converter and then can't open.  I guess it's not a drive issue (hardware) because it started happening on both the c drive and the external drive at the same time.

Please let me know what to do.  Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

I'm not seeing any malware on the machine that could account for this,

Take a look here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12196-open-change-default-program.html

for example, take a look at .pdf and tell me what the default program to open them is.

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

#3 HDTF

HDTF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:41 AM

Right clicking the pdf file, then open with, it says "Recommended Program" and then "Adobe Reader".

For the MS Office docs, right clicking on open with opens another bar that gives the options of the various programs.

For the jpegs, it does the same, offering options of the various photo applicable programs.

So, it doesn't appear as if the file associations are a problem.

#4 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

can you please grab me a screen shot of what you are seeing when trying to open a program

#5 HDTF

HDTF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Photos attached.

The Word Doc situation also applies to other MS Office documents.

Again, this is occurring on multiple drives and it all started at once, so I don't think it's problems with any particular drive. Also, some directories are fine and do not exhibit the problem. (for instance, on the external drive, some folders containing images are fine, while others are not, even though the images in the ok directories may be larger than the ones where there are problems).  Also, it doesn't seem to be isolated to certain directories - for instance..... on the C drive (Desktop, specifically), I can open a folder containing photos.... and only 1 of the 15 has the problem.  The other 14 display their thumbnail fine, and open fine, but the 1 is having the problem seen in the photos below - no thumb preview, and unable to open. Also, some Word Doc's on the desktop open fine, while others are showing the craziness displayed in photo attachment #1 (Problem1-WordDoc.jpg).

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files

#6 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

well the cause appears to be damaged files.

I'm not seeing any sign of malware in the logs, but let's have a look with a different scanner, please run the following:

I would like to get a scan from MBAR first to see what is on your machine, so don't click the "clean-up" first time round

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/ and save it to your desktop.

Direct link to the file: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbar
•Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on that same page.
•Caution: This is a beta version so please be sure to read the disclaimer and back up any important data before using.
•Doubleclick on the MBAR file you downloaded.
•Approve the UAC prompt in Vista and newer operating systems.
•Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to it's own folder, mbar.
•By default, this will be on your desktop, though you can choose another location if you wish. We advise using the default location for simplicity.
•mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.
•After reading the Introduction, click 'Next' if you agree.
•On the Update Database screen, click on the 'Update' button.
•Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on 'Next'.
•Click the 'Scan' button.
A.With some infections, you may see two messages boxes.
1.'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
2.'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.
•If malware is found, do NOT press the Cleanup button when the scan completes. Click EXIT.
Then, please send the following logs as attachments to your reply. These logs are located in the mbar folder on your desktop where the tool extracted itself to.
mbar-log-2013-xx-xx(xx-xx-xx).txt (where xx-xx(xx-xx-xx) is the date and time of the scan)
system-log.txt

#7 HDTF

HDTF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

I ran the scan per your instructions.  No Malware was found by that program.

So....I have a few questions....
1) - You say that the problem appears to be "damaged files".  Well, how were they damaged? I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. This is a business computer.... I stay away from risqué sites.

2) - It's my understanding that most often file damage occurs as a result of hardware failure....How does that explain happening on different drives all at the same time?

3) - why are some files affected but others are not, even in the same directory?

4) - Can anything be done to get these files back?

Thank you again for your excellent help and patience with me.  :)

#8 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

to be honest, I have no idea, this is out of my area of expertise.

As there is no malware, I'm going to suggest startting a new thread in our Windows 7 sub forum to see if any of our expert techs might have a better idea as to the cause and whether those files are recoverable or not.

Post here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/167/windows-7/

let them know that you have been checked out for malware.

please let me know what happens.

#9 HDTF

HDTF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

OK, I will do that.  Thank you, CB.  :)

#10 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

good luck, let me know how it turns out

#11 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users