Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Out Of Range Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shellster178

shellster178

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:04 PM

Hi, the only way I can avoid the "out of range" message on my computer after starting up is pressing F8 and then clicking the last known good configuration. Then the regular log in screen pops up. But when I click on a user account, the screen goes back into "out of range." I've also tried safe mode but it won't work anymore and only shows an error message. I called Insignia's support and they said they couldn't give me support because they don't service computers bought from Circuit City. Um...ok. Does anyone have the slightest clue what my problem is?

Edited by shellster178, 01 May 2006 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:11 PM

Question the out of range, is that all of the error message or is there more? We would need more info on the computer also like make and model, processor, Ram etc.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

Out of range is usually caused by the frequency being out of whack. Offhand, I don't know why this would suddenly start unless you've changed display settings. Do the F8 thing again and go into Safe Mode, then set the thing to its default, whatever it is. Is this LCD or CRT? (I suspect LCD) Do you have a manual or even the box the monitor came in that tells you the proper frequency?

You don't mention if this is a older computer and it was working fine, or if you just purchased it and it never worked. If it's still in warranty, I'd contact Circuit City or whoever handles their warranty. It's either a corrupted driver, failing hardware, or a messed-up setting. LCD monitors have a default resolution where they work best, and that is where they should be set. If you have an old CRT around, try starting up with that. At the very least, you could change the video settings to the same as the LCD and then switch back. (IF the CRT will support those settings . . .)

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:37 PM

The video settings in the user's profile maybe set too high for that monitor to use. Enter the admin account and delete the video and allow it to reinstall at boot.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 shellster178

shellster178
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:22 AM

Thanks all, it was simply a black screen with a blue box with the words "out of range." I figured out I could still control my computer even if the screen was blocked, so I logged into another account (one that I never use) and decided to do things the hard way by finding the exact number of key strokes it took to find the settings without using my mouse, then I applied them to the problem account with its ugly black "out of range" screen (8 arrows up, tab 5 times, enter, tab 5...and so forth) until I thought I was in the settings box and changed the screen resolution, then clicked apply hoping for the best and the screen was readjusted and I could see everything again. Sounds stupid and unnecessary but it worked and I'm grateful. :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:53 AM

Very nice. Glad it worked out for you.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Herk

Herk