Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Problem, Need help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TechMistress

TechMistress

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hi All, I need help with something I can't figure out...

I needed to work on a site before it was live and was told that I needed to change my host file to do this (I know, crummy webhost). So I did.  A couple of days later, changed the host file back to normal, no big deal.

My problem is, the site is extremely slow, a couple of minutes to load a page. It was this slow while working on it, and continues now that it's live.

Here's the skinny:

1. It's only one computer (the one I changed) on my network, all others including mobile devices are fine

2. No other people experience this

3. I've flushed the DNS, cleared the browser cache and cookies, restarted DNS services, turned off all of my browser extensions, restarted the router and even tried using Google public DNS services

Any ideas?

Using Windows XP Pro, Firefox 25

Edited by hamluis, 14 November 2013 - 09:45 AM.
Moved from XP to Website Development - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

I may be able to help you but I have no clue what you are asking. Please clarify the problem and give some examples such as a link to the page so I can look at the code, The webhost, what programming language you are using, and what software you used to create the website.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

The webhost, what programming language you are using, and what software you used to create the website.

Also,  2 forms of picture ID, one personal reference, and a note from your doctor. :lol:  Seriously, it sounds like you are profiling the web site, although the sentiment is correct.

Can we start by clarifying this?

I needed to work on a site before it was live and was told that I needed to change my host file to do this (I know, crummy webhost).

What work, why the change, what was the change? Additionally did anything else change? How are you debugging?

#4 TechMistress

TechMistress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

My client is hosting on Godaddy. They do not have a provision for a temporary address to view the website while it's being created before pointing the domain, so they suggested changing the hosts file to the IP on my compter in order to view it. Fine, no problem.

It was rather slow while working this way, but fine, it was only temporary. Only, it turned out to be permanent. It's gone live, the domain name is pointed and my hosts file is back to normal.

The domain, the server, the language the host is all irrelevant because it is ONLY this computer that is extremely, painfully slow. Every other person and even every other computer in the house (using the same router) is faster. It is simply this computer alone.

All I could think of is that it's something with Godaddy blocking my IP or something weird. I sent them traceroutes, etc. No luck.

Now, I just accept it as so - GoDaddy sucks and they've done something to me. When I work on that site, I simply use another computer in the house.

If someone knows what would cause this strange issue, please let me know.

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

It is possible that godaddy is blocked by your firewall.

#6 TechMistress

TechMistress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

No, I checked that also.

My only other thought was that there's something in memory or cache somewhere else than the usual places, but I can't find it.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

I had issues with their servers also, and actually moved my hosting. Contact support and let them know that things are sluggish. It may be something configured incorrectly on their end, and it at least would rule out that it is on their end.

#8 TechMistress

TechMistress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

It's only on one computer, that's the weird thing. The computer I modified the hosts file on (but returned it to normal). This was part of their response:

In regard to the continued latency and intermittent timeout associated with the website, review of the hosting account indicates the filters previously placed have been removed.  At this time, review of the traceroute provided indicates the IP address being used to connect is independent of the two previously advised, 192.168.1.1, in lieu of either 76.14.165.228 or 192.168.1.102.  This may be confirmed by reviewing hop 1 within the traceroute and the associated IP address linked to the hop. 

At this time, we recommend reviewing the host recently modified on your local computer, as it does not appear to have reverted from the IP address change to your Internet Service Provider configuration.

What does that last sentence mean? To me, it's just bull they are throwing me, but I wasn't sure.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

They are asking if you reset your hosts file back to what it was. You indicated in your first post that you had to alter it in order to work on your site.

#10 TechMistress

TechMistress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

I see. Yes, I did. It was the first sentence I told them.  I seriously may need to retire from this client just becuase of this one site. How weird is that!

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

I also had issues when trying to access my site using a 'www' subdomain. I did not have my site set up to use a sub-domain, so it took extra time to resolve to the base domain. You could try using a tool like Fiddler2 and profile the traffic to see what is happening.

#12 TechMistress

TechMistress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

This is not a website problem - it's some weird DNS/ISP/HOST problem, I think - because the site loads fine on every other computer in existence. This is an issue with my computer alone.

#13 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

To clarify, based on your previous posts, 

All the PCs are identical - same hardware, drivers, OS(WindowsXP), other software - all at the same version and patch level, but only 1 PC is affected?

They all share DNS and DHCP servers definitions and access the internet via the same router and default gateway and all are dynamic IP addresses (no static addresses defined in PCs or the router)?

The PC that is affected runs fine (No processor, memory or disk constraints) doing anything else and is not slow accessing any other websites apart from this one?

What is the significance of the IP addresses posted - 2 of them are private network addresses, not sure about the 3rd.?

Steve O.

#14 TechMistress

TechMistress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

The  76 IP is the address assigned by my ISP. GoDaddy didn't understand what I was saying. My traceroute is just fine - starts at router IP, then goes from there. I think they originally thought my ISP's assigned IP was my computer's IP.

And yes, the machines are all almost identical. Nothing else was done at the time. I was thinking maybe something got entered into my ISP's servers or modem or something weird that is affecting this one website when I changed the hosts file or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users