Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powered Down Improperly...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguy

thatoneguy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:28 PM

My aunt came over and usede my computer today, and she improperly shut it down like three times in a row. Now, no sound will play and this is one of the error messages I get.

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly"

Also, the bar with the minimize and close button have the classic "98" look (the computer is new though), and I cant get it back. A few months ago, I shut my computer down improperly and got the same problems. But I had just gotten the computer so I just re-installed XP and it was fine. But now I have a lot of documents and and programs that I dont want to lose. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

Try System Restore.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

Well amybe, You say you jsut reinstalled Windows XP. Did you install Service Pack 2 separately or was SP2 included with the install CD?

If the Service Pack 2 was on the install cd and was installed when you reinstalled Windows XP you will be lucky. If it was a separate installation DO NOT DO THE NEXT STEP:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Doing a repair should fix the problem but like I said do this only if you have an install disk with Service Pack 2 on it.

One other thing before you do anything like this you will have to back up all of your data.

If you can not do the above your best bet may be to get your data backed up manually and do a complete reinstallation.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:54 AM

the bar with the minimize and close button have the classic "98" look (the computer is new though), and I cant get it back.

You don't indicate how to tried to get it back. Please try this:

right click on any empty space on your desktop > Properties > Themes

What theme is chosen? You computer was probably shipped with Windows XP theme chosen. My guess is that now Windows Classic is chosen. Are you able to change it?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 thatoneguy

thatoneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:40 PM

No, I have xp set as my theme

#6 thatoneguy

thatoneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:43 PM

Also, My computer has xp with SP2 already on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users