Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start my MacBook, it turns off when I release the power button

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nojman

Nojman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

As the topic I can't start my MacBook. When I press and hold the power button i can hear the CD-ROM drive, fans, sleep mode indicator and my hard drive to start. But when I release the power button everything quits and I hear a quite beep sound from the side where the hard drive sits. The screen is black.
When I try to hold the power button longer (about 5 seconds) the sleep mode indicator start to flash fast and then the computer quits.
The problem started after I was working with logic pro and closed the screen for sleep mode. When I came back I couldn't start it. Lately my computer has been slow and my processor been almost working on maximum.
I have tried lots of things, resetting the SMC, safe mode (don't pass the release button), resetting PRAM, hold down ctrl + command + power, changing the RAM circuits with an old MacBook pro think 2006 model that works.
I thought it could be my harddrive so I tested it in the old MacBook and it worked (but it wanted me to resett to 10.6 or something).
My MacBook is running mountain lion.
Do someone know what the problem is and how to fix it.
Can you some how check what hardware is not working? It's a old computer and I don't want to put lots off money to fixit so I hope it's not the motherboard.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Try three things before you give up.

1 - Hold down the Command and R keys, and then press the start button.  It should take you to the recovery partition, where you can run Disk Utility.  There select "Macintosh HD" and click first "Repair Disk."  Next, select he "Macintosh HD" and click "Repair permissions."  Maybe that will fix your Mac.

2 - If you can't get to the Recovery Partition that way, find the two DVDs that came with the computer.  One is the "Mac OS X Install DVD."  The other is the "Application install DVD."

While pressing the start button and holding down the C key, insert the Mac OS X Install DVD.  This will take you to the Recovery tools.  Select Disk Utility and perform the steps I mentioned in #1.  See if that repairs your Mac.

3 - Finally, if that does not work, hold down the D key and press the start button while inserting the Application Install DVD.  This will take you to the hardware test.  Select the extended test.  It will take over an hour.  When it is done, it will either state "No Problems found," (which I doubt if you can't get #1 or #2 to work,) or it will list some codes.  Copy these down.  Call 1-800-MYAPPLE.  Speak to a tech and mention the codes.  The tech can generally tell you what is wrong.  Then you can take it to an authorized Apple Repair Center.

Your hard drive might be fried, however, steps #1 or #2 might just repair your hard drive.  Good luck!

#3 Nojman

Nojman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for your respons tgdetjen.
I have tryed those steps but I can't start it, so can't put the DVD in or try to get to the recovery partion.
I YouTube my problem and found this video.
I have the same problem and looked and his answear. Aperently it was paroblem with the graphic card chip. Do anybody know if it's easy to change it out?

#4 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

What make you think it is the graphic card chip?  Did you run the hardware test?  You said you couldn't start the mac to be able to insert the DVD with the hardware test.

This is something you do not want to tackle on your own.  Go to this website and find your nearest Authorized Apple Repair Center.

https://locate.apple.com/#

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for your respons tgdetjen.
I have tryed those steps but I can't start it, so can't put the DVD in or try to get to the recovery partion.
I YouTube my problem and found this video.
I have the same problem and looked and his answear. Aperently it was paroblem with the graphic card chip. Do anybody know if it's easy to change it out?

If it is the graphic card that is faulty then you'd have to change out the logic board since the graphic card is soldered on there. Look in ifixit.com for a tutorial for your model Mac to see if you want to  try the repair yourself.

#6 Nojman

Nojman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

What make you think it is the graphic card chip?  Did you run the hardware test?  You said you couldn't start the mac to be able to insert the DVD with the hardware test.

This is something you do not want to tackle on your own.  Go to this website and find your nearest Authorized Apple Repair Center.
https://locate.apple.com/#

On the video discription he writes that it was the graphical card chip and another chip they replaced. And after that it worked. 
So I assume it can be the same for me.

#7 Nojman

Nojman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

If it is the graphic card that is faulty then you'd have to change out the logic board since the graphic card is soldered on there. Look in ifixit.com for a tutorial for your model Mac to see if you want to  try the repair yourself.

Okey, thanks.
I saw that a new logic board cost around 200$ and to fix it at a repair shop it's 300$.
I saw some videos where they baked there logic board in the oven and fixed a disturbed graphic card. The picture was bad.
What do you think about doing that?

#8 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

I don't advise you to tackle this on your own.  Baking a logic board could cause more damage.  Go to an authorized Apple Repair Center.  Did you run the hardware test?

#9 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

It could be a few things. But generally I'd agree it's the logic board.

An AASP or Apple Store could look at it. Although because it isn't bootable, they can't run the MRI (Mac Resource Inspector) and determine what it is.

Fixing it may or may not be financially feasible. It is an older machine and the logic board is the most expensive part to replace in an Apple computer, along with the Display.

#10 tnj

tnj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

Same issue.     Power button turns MacBook Pro off, but not back on.

Yosemite OS X 10.10 on mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15"
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have:
  • replaced/soldered a new keyboard connector on the logic board as it had a missing pin,
  • replaced the keyboard twice (the second and third keyboards work correctly),
  • tried jump starting the computer on with the jumpers but this did not work,
  • performed many PRAM resets,
  • repaired Disk and Permissions in Disk Utility,
  • ran Apple Hardware Test in short and extended mode without any issues identified,
  • attempted to do an SMC reset (although I don't see any sign of rather it happened or not.)

Does anyone know why the power button would turn the computer off, but won't turn the computer on? This is even though removing the mag safe, removing the battery, and then reconnecting the mag safe power supply does turn the computer on automatically. Once on, the computer appears to work absolutely perfect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Timothy

Edited by tnj, 17 October 2014 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users