Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permissions Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JRDPHD

JRDPHD

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/452999/change-ownershipfile-reappearvac/ - Hamluis.

Hello,

This is my first time to post with Bleeping, so I'm disappointed that there are no other posts in response to the topic 

Change Ownership/File Reappear/VAC, because I have exactly the same problem.

I can't completely uninstall AVAST in order to install Bitdefender because I can't get permission from trustedinstaller to delete about 10-15 residual files.

Would much appreciate any suggestions.

Edited by hamluis, 11 November 2013 - 11:23 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

Avast has a uninstall utility, but in order to use it you will need to reinstall Avast in order to use it.

There are times that a topic will simply get buried if there are a large number of responses in active topics.  It is unfortunate, but it does happen.

I would suggest that i the future you post your own topic.  Those reading this will initially see that the original topic is eighteen months old and may not bother to read the latest post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JRDPHD

JRDPHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for your response, Arachibutyrophobia.  With a handle like that, you GOTTA be the man!

I've tried using Avast''s uninstaller, and still get the same problem.

Bitdefender says it can't install because it can't uninstall Avast 5, so I should remove it manually.

Been trying to get this to work for months, and bitdefender tech just keeps sending me in circles.

Any suggestions?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Do you have any experience editing the registry?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JRDPHD

JRDPHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

With hands quaking, yes, a little.

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

This my be easier

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how-to-delete-files-protected-by-trustedinstaller/

Edited by Roodo, 11 November 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#7 JRDPHD

JRDPHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the guidance in starting a new topic.  In fact, by changing ownership and permissions, was finally able to remove the supposedly offending residual AVAST files from Winsx folder.  But alas, Bitdefender still claims it can't load for the same reason as before: can't automatically uninstall AVAST 5.0.  

So if I follow how this works, I should probably now start a new topic

Thanks for the help.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

No need for new topic now, I split this one from the outdated topic you had originally posted to.

Onward :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users