Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast! 4 Home Edition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jbmoisin

jbmoisin

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

Yesterday, my friend asked me to propose her any good antivirus. Normally, i would propose avg bcoz i use it on my portable computer and it works very good. But i've read on the tutorial here about avast! which is free so i say, why not try this one. So i propose her that.

One hour later, she said that her computer cannotconnect to the net anymore. I thought maybe she make some mistakes, so ask her to restore here computer. But unfortunately, she said that after she did that, the computer said that nothing's change. The restoration failed. So, i don't want to waste her and my time, i asked her to just reformat all (it's hard to help someone just by the phone). And that's that.

But to my suprise, i've tried the antivirus too myself this morning, and the same thing happened! My internet connection is totally screwed. I did everything, until i was about to give up and wanted to reformat my computer. This is because nothing's changed even after deleting the antivirus. Lastly, i reinstalled all my wifi driver (configure everything!) and fortunately, it works.

My question is, what the hell happened? Why did avast! changed all my internet connection values? Did anyone had the same experience like this?

Btw, from now on, to hell with avast! . Im gonna stick to avg.

P/s: Luckily, i've shisha to accompany me and to calm me down. If not, i'll be really piss off right now! :thumbsup:
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

Have you looked at this install tutorial? perhaps you've missed something. It may help. I know many of the people here use either of those with great success.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-avast-antivirus/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:17 PM

Hmm, well i didn't actually follow that tutorial. But i successfully installed it.

But then again, after took a look at the tutorial you showed me, it still doesn't answer my question. It doesn't show, how avast! change my connection setting.
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:23 PM

Ok I see,just hoped perhaps you missed something and that tutorial may have helped. What is your connection type?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

Im using wifi to an adsl router. When i installed avast, it changed each and every setting of my router (livebox sagem) and my xp's internet connection. Now that's what suprised me.
Posted Image

#6 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:44 AM

I've sent a message to their technical support, and i recieved this, this morning,

Good afternoon

I am sorry that you and your friend had problems. Avast has to change
certain values so that your internet signals pass through the avast program
so they can be scanned for viruses, but of course this should not alter your
access to the internet. You say it is working for you now but if you have
any more trouble please try this:

Open Internet Explorer
Click the Tools tab
Select Internet Options
Click the Connections tab
Click LAN settings
Tick the box "Use a proxy server for your LAN"
Click the Advanced button
In the http: box, add the following: localhost
In the port: box, add the following: 12080
Click Ok on each screen until you get back to the main screen
Close Internet Explorer
Then re-open it and see if it works!

Also, the other thing which can cause this problem is if your firewall
blocks avast, the signals can not pass through properly, in such a case:

Into the firewall settings (white or safe list), please ensure that the
following programs are allowed to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus
service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner
Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update
executable)

I hope this helps, if not, please feel free to contact me again.

Regards,
Adam Riley
(Technical Support)

I haven't tried what he suggested yet, but i thought why not sharing.
Posted Image

#7 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

In any case, I believe Avast has the worst detection rate out of the following free anti-virus programs: AVG Free Edition, AntiVir Free, and Bit Defender 8. I personally love AVG Free, but I've heard that AntiVir has a better detection rating.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users