Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new network

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kennyg74

Kennyg74

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:03 AM

Hi all I'm looking to setup an office for up to 15 staff, they currently connected to the internet via wifi, needless to say is very slow so they want something faster.

Could anyone point me in the right direction, I'm thinking a 24 port router, hard wired and maybe a server for backup and storage of files. 

Thanks

K

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

What is your upload and download?

Can you go to http://www.speedtest.net and perform a couple of speed tests.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ok your statement is a little confusing. Is their internet provider WiFi or just inside the office? I think it's just inside the office but I want to make sure.

What is your budget? That will dictate in which direction the advice goes.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Kennyg74

Kennyg74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

thanks for the replies, They have a wifi enabled router in the office which they are all currently connect to. I'm waiting on speed results but its not high around the 5M-10M.

Budget is unknown I don't think they care about cost as much as about reliability and getting a faster network speed.

The main things are.

Good network speed to store files on a central server or nas drive.

Print server capabilities for the future. ( They all have individual printer at the moment) 

Backup functionality.

The setup at the moment is 14 all in one pc's.

All connected to the internet via a single wifi router.

All have individual printers.

Documents are stored on an network hard drive, which doesn't work well.

Gmail for email.

Edited by Kennyg74, 11 November 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Can you also do a speed test via wired ethernet if available?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

OK questions - 

1) You need to ask about budget. Cause you say that and they might think that but you do the work and flop down a bill for 5k, that is not the time to discuss the budget lol. And it will steer you in the right direction as far as equipment. 

2) Do they have a business internet connection? 14 people on a single normal connection they are getting fairly normal speeds. Unless that 5 - 10 is only on their LAN? But you need to find out if they are unhappy with the speed to the internet and/or on their LAN. I'm guessing both lol

3) What is the band of the wireless? b? g? n? 

4) Have you done a site survey for other wireless signals? It could be they are using a heavily used channel. 

If they have their hearts set on being wired.

You need to go there with a tape measure. You need to know where the network equipment is going, it can't just be sitting around where someone could bump into it or something. You need to figure out where and how the cable drops are going to be located. Take some measurements once you know where the equipment is going so you know if you want to make cable or just buy pre-made.

5) Are they going to expand in that location? If they have empty offices pulling a few more cables isn't too difficult and will make the expansion easier.

6) Are they still going to need wireless?

7) How many printers and where are they going to be located?

I think you get the picture, till you go there and have a look there's not much more you can do. Do NOT take someone's word for how something is, go there yourself and see what's what. Ask questions. Get a point of contact that you can call if you have other questions. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Kennyg74

Kennyg74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Hi I did a speed test it came up as 0.34 download upload was 0.25. Terrible! Connected a pc straight to the hub failed it wouldn't connect?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Did you receive any error messages when connecting to the hub

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users