Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 venkman182

venkman182

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

Hi,

I have just inherited a Win7 Pro laptop and recently have had 2 or 3 BSOD.  Most of the dumps show ntoskrnl.exe to be the issue, however after a lot of Googling, most people are advising that this could be because this was just the last driver to be used before it crashed?

Also looking at the past .dmp it looks like there has been numerous "Bug Check Strings" such as BAD_POOL_HEADER / SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION etc.

I am going to run a memtest tonight (but need to use the laptop today so will have to wait until tonight).  However, in the mean time, I have attached the output from BlueScreenView as a text doc and if anyone with more experience of troubleshooting BSODs could advise if they can see anything obvious from the output, that would be great and I would really appreciate it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   35.62KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

Hi

Varying bugcheck code is usually a sign of memory related issues. Running "Memtest86+" is the right thing to begin with. Make sure you are using the latest version 5.01 and run at least seven or more passes with it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

#3 venkman182

venkman182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for your response Anshad, I will run the memtest tonight and let you know my findings.

#4 venkman182

venkman182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:22 AM

I ran memtest last night for 11 hours and no errors were found (see jpg attached), so it's not looking like there is an issue with the memory hardware.  Any other thoughts/ideas?

Attached Files

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:01 AM

Hi

Memtest already covered 6 passes. Let it complete 7 passes and if there are no errors detected,  please follow the below steps.

:step1: Upload the actual crash dump files.

You will find the crash dump files inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder. To copy the dumps, disable "User Account Control" first. Otherwise you may receive a permission error. After disabling UAC, copy and zip most recent three or more dumps to a single file. Either attach the zip with next reply using "More reply options --> Attach files" or use a free file hosting site. 

:step2: Publish a snapshot of your system using Speccy.

"Speccy" is a free tool which can list the hardware specs, temperature status, installed Windows updates, HDD SMART info etc of your system. Please read the below tutorial to know how to use "Speccy" to collect system info.

Don't paste the output displayed by "Speccy" here. Instead paste the web link it displays.

:step3: Minitoolbox log.

"Minitoolbox" can list all the installed programs as well as event log errors in your system. Download "Minitoolbox" from the below link.

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

List last 10 Event viewer errors
List installed program
List users, partition and memory size
List Minidumps

Now click "Go" and post the output displayed in next reply.

#6 venkman182

venkman182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

Hi 

Thanks for the response.  Memtest showed no errors.  I have attached the Minidumps, speccy and minitoolbox outputs.  I didn't publish the speccy as I needed to remove any data that is specific to me for security reasons (I hope you understand).

Thanks for your help on this!.

Attached Files

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hi

"Speccy" is totally safe and it won't contain any personal info about you. Here is an example :

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7Lw7p022mrGMPBkfmFvpb3y

#8 venkman182

venkman182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

It did contain information I had to remove.  The output in the text file is the same, however any references to usernames etc have been replaced with ##

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi

Your issue seems to be probably caused by "Sophos Antivirus".

BugCheck A, {0, 2, 1, fffff800034b66d8}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for savonaccess.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for savonaccess.sys
Probably caused by : savonaccess.sys ( savonaccess+b487 )

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=savonaccess.sys

Please uninstall "Sophos" antivirus as a test. If it is a paid subscription, don't worry about loosing the subscription. We can re-install it at anytime a(if it is not the root cause).

If the issue continues, please  upload the latest crash dump.

#10 venkman182

venkman182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

Sorry for the late reply on this, however since 1st posting this topic, I have yet to have another occurrence of the BSOD and I haven't made any changes.  If it does happen again I will uninstall the AV as advised.  Either way, thank you for your help!

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

That memtest is showing the processor at 61c that seems a little high.

#12 venkman182

venkman182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think the mobile i5 max temperature is over 100 degrees so I don't know whether it would blue screen at 61.  Unlikely I would think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users