Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run Restore Disk For 98, Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 octoberlisa

octoberlisa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:50 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 5441 desktop with Win 98 SE system that has worked great for the last few years. I got a virus, one of those self-installing deals with 100s of popups, and in attempting to clean that up created more problems. I am attempting to do a full restore with the factory "quick restore disk." I did a full restore about a year ago with this same computer and disk, worked fine. I start the computer and placed the disk in the CD Rom as the logo appears on the screen. It is supposed to come up with the restore menu but, does not. The problem comes when the computer begins to load the restore disk. I get an error message that reads "bad command or file name." It leaves me at a "D" prompt.

I added a second hard drive a while back and changed the lable assignment for the drives. I made the second hard drive "D" and changed the CD Rom drive to "E". I have the start-up in the Bios sceen as CD Rom,A(floppy), then C(Main hard drive).

Now understand the computer will boot and run windows sort of ok. The biggest thing is my explorer will not work and I still get ads that pop up, since the explorer is not working they can't find server. Every time I restarted my computer my home page is changed. I do get "run time errors" and the occasional fatal error since my handy work finding the virus and deleting things.

I just want to restore it back the way it was years ago. The biggest problem is not being able to run the full restore.
HELP ME!!!
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WereBo

WereBo

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

Allo Octoberlisa :thumbsup:

The easiest way to get it all back again is to pop the cover off your PC and temporarily unplug either the power or ribbon cable from your 2nd hard drive (D:)...

The restore CD refers to files on the D: (CD) drive, but it's your hard drive instead... removing the hard drive will put the CD back to D: :flowers:

Good luck and let us know how you get on :trumpet:

Posted Image

Humus hic parumper venatus of militis

#3 octoberlisa

octoberlisa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

:thumbsup: It worked like a charm! :flowers:

I am so glad I came here rather than search around like I was.

You are a hero. THANK YOU!

#4 WereBo

WereBo

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

Awwww, you're welcome Octoberlisa :thumbsup: , it's what the Forum's for :flowers: ...

:trumpet: ...

Posted Image

Humus hic parumper venatus of militis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users