Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just downloaded 8.1 have questions on making copy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

I had  pre-installed manufacturer WIN 8 software on my computer.  I made recovery disks.  (you are only allowed one copy)  I think I made a mistake in upgrading to the 8.1 version.  I thought it was just an update.  I didn't realize it was going to be so involved.  If my computer fails to start, I don't know if I should make just a recovery disk, or if I can get a COPY of the WIN8.1 version.  It said once you go to 8.1, you can't go back.  I didn't like that.  Can anyone tell me more about what single copy I can make, and how to do it?  If you make a copy to a flash drive, and it fails, you are up a creek.  So I would rather have a dvd copy.  But just for if WIN 8.1 won't start, a bootable pen drive would be nice.  But once again, it said only one copy.  This is confusing to me.  I don't have an external hard drive, or anything to make a full back up on yet.  I do have my pictures, and documents saved to a pen drive though. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

You are only allowed one copy per license, not one image per media that you create (ie you can have a copy on a Blu-Ray, DVD, USB drive, Pen Drive).  As for what to do if your hard drive goes South, you can contact your computer manufacturer, and order a copy of 8.1 for that model of computer, or reinstall 8, then download the 8.1 iso from Microsoft, and save the .iso to a DVD, so you can reinstall 8.1 after installing 8 back on your hard drive.

Of course there is always making a image of the hard drive and making a boot disc, to restore that image also.

Edited by Greg62702, 10 November 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

So I guess I better just do one copy to dvd.  Is this copy just going to be a "recovery disk", not a Win 8.1 disk then?  Thank you for trying to help me.  I do appreciate it.  :thumbup2:

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

So I guess I better just do one copy to dvd.  Is this copy just going to be a "recovery disk", not a Win 8.1 disk then?  Thank you for trying to help me.  I do appreciate it.  :thumbup2:

It depends on what software you use to create the image, will depend on the outcome.

#5 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

I don't have any software for this.  It should be like it was in WIN7, but I read where they took that out in this edition.  There has got to be another way.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

I don't have any software for this.  It should be like it was in WIN7, but I read where they took that out in this edition.  There has got to be another way.

Not anymore.  They changed the way that backup works in ver. 8.1.  You can use Ghost or Acronis.  I will warn you first hand, that Acronis will slow your system down to a snail's crawl, even if it is not doing anything at all.  I have also found that they broke Windows backup in 8.1 Pro, so you are unable to back to a Network drive, if you installed 8.1 from the store.

#7 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Oh great.  Why would they mess up a good thing?  Well, I guess I am just in one heck of a bind then.  I don't think my Dell disks are going to help me.  (unless I start completely over)  I guess the thing to do then, will be to get an external hard drive, and back up all my documents, and photos.  Then do a mirror image, if Passport lets you do that.  I can't afford this right now.  So this is a bit unnerving.  I was considering Acronis, but after reading your post, I don't think I want to do that either.  Microsoft is not on the top of my favored list right now, I will tell you that!!!!  I have backed up my documents and photos to a pen drive, but they are known to mess up now and then. 

#8 Chuts

Chuts

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

Macrium Reflect is similar to Acronis and it has a free version.  I've been using Acronis for over 5 years and it has always worked well for me - even with win 8.1 Pro.  But I don't have the software installed ... I only use the bootable cd to do all my Backups and Restores and in fact I'm using a fairly old version, 2010 build 5055 - one of the best versions they made, even better than later versions.

#9 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

That is something to consider too.  Thank you for that reply!!

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

I use Acronis true image 2013 on my home computers and at work It dosent seem to slow them down. Also you can use easeus todo backup free edition to image your drive. Your factory restore disk will get you back to factory stock Win 8. You can use the recimg.exe in windows 8 to create a custom "refresh" point that will include all your files and settings. I will warn you that it takes awhile. If your computer becomes unusable you can boot from a windows 8 dvd (or enable safe mode option) and refresh to your custom image. Alternatively you can store the image on external media in case the hdd fails. See the tutorial here

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Thank you.Sneaky.  I am going to have to read your post a couple of times, to try to figure out what you are saying.  Win 8 came preloaded, and it did not have just a Win 8 disk.  I've never made an image of my hard drive, or anything like that.  Restore disks, yes.  I do have the Tweaking back up registry.  I will see what I can do with the comments presented.  Thank you all very much for your help.  I really appreciate this!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users