Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aelfgifa

aelfgifa

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

Hello,

Before I even try to figure out how to ask about my computer problems, I thought it would be courteous to say hello. It's taken me more than five minutes to get this far, so I think I'll just wait a while and see if this worked.

Aelfgifa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

:thumbsup: aelfgifa

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Please visit this link it should help.
Bleeping Computer New User Orientation Forum
Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

Welcome to BC!
Don't worry, you will get the hang of using forums in a very short time.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 aelfgifa

aelfgifa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:56 AM

Thank you both. I have a lot to read before figuring out how to post my real question.

#5 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:42 AM

Welcome to BC!! :thumbsup:

Im sure you will get the hang of it :flowers:

Brian

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! aelfgifa.

Good Luck,
yano :flowers:

#7 aelfgifa

aelfgifa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:32 PM

Hello yano,

Your sig caught my attention, especially after the sad saga of my computer woes.

I finally gave up and took the box to a shop today. They were able to recover most of my data from the hard drive, but the tech commented "wow, you sure had a lot of spyware". How, I asked, can you tell? Most of it sailed over my head but the gist of it was that even the things the HJT forum helped me to emove left traces behind. And that computer is dead, dead, dead. It's sitting in my garage until I decide what to do to fix it.

My initial response was "well, why doesn't the government *do* something to protect me?". Followed almost immediately by the realization that most of my problems with the rootkits/trojans/viruses were due to stupidity on my part. In RL, I don't put signs on this street saying "this way to aelfgifa's house, free stuff !!!" and leave my door unlocked. So - big surprise - I can't do it on the internet either. It's sad that things are that way, but oh well. I can whine to the government to take away even more personal liberties to supposedly make me secure, or learn how to protect myself.

With 20:20 hindsight, my problems probably started when I was writing a report and got tired of Norton's firewall popping up almost a window every 5 seconds telling me somebody was trying to access my computer. So, I (naturally :thumbsup: ) concluded the problem was my firewall and disabled it. That probablly sealed my doom before I ever got here, but this is a very pleasant forum and I've learned a lot.

I don't know if this is the right place to say this or not, but I'd like to thank everybody that has helped me. It was too late to save my other computer, but I think I've finally got this laptop clean by doing repeated scans and following the advice I got in the other threads. I think there is going to be a router and a fresh Windows install/upgrade in my future, but I'm gping to lurk in the forums for a while before I spend any money.

So -- maybe I can have both security AND liberty. Without any "help" from the government. And I've learned a lot of new words like "zombified", "nuke and pave" and BIOS. :flowers:

Regards,

aelfgifa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users