Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB External Hard Drive recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mtfalcon31

mtfalcon31

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

I had a WD 500GB external hard drive, but after a while, the part where the USB cable plugs in to the drive came lose and came off, so it was no longer possible to plug it in. I don't want that to happen again, so need advice on a better quality external hard drive, unless possibly this problem has been fixed from the past and WD has a more stable connection with their newer products. Any information would be useful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

Sorry to hear that news. Most popular external or portable drives brand have the same quality cable type and design in my experience. Sometimes its on the user end part that causes this certain isolated cases. But given that its a manufacturing defect and most likely out of warranty, Seagate/Samsung, Toshiba, WD are still highly recommended. You can check online at Newegg, Tigerdirect or Amazon for specific drives that you prefer.

Tekken

#3 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

Id like to know what hard drive it was. Cause you can also buy a 500 GB HDD and place it inside an external enclosure so if this ever occurs again, you will not have to replace the hard drive, just the outer enclosure. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#4 Phrebre

Phrebre

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

How about this one by WD

WD My Passport 1TB Portable External Hard Drive

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Drive-Storage/dp/B006Y5UV4A/

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

How much space are you looking for?  How much do you want to spend?  Is a network connected drive an option?

I bought one of these ( http://www.rakuten.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=221808513 ) - Iomega 3TB Home Media Network Hard Drive, Cloud Edition.  I paid $199 in 2011 for a new one and was impressed by its speed and features.

Other than that if you stick with Seagate or Western Digital you should be fine.  My main issue with the external drives is them being knocked over.  I highly recommend laying them flat if at all possible.

#6 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Well that drive is a good drive but it defeats the purpose of your issue. Having an external enclosure to place an internal hard drive in. 

http://www.amazon.com/Connectland-External-Enclosure-3-5-Inch-CL-ENC35008/dp/B002MUGUFK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385068437&sr=8-3&keywords=external+hard+drive+enclosure+sata

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385068467&sr=8-1&keywords=sata+hard+drive%27

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#7 debg68

debg68

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

I just picked up a Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB at Staples for 99.00 on sale I believe it was.  The USB cord feels/looks pretty stable to me.

I have not yet used the drive though, so can't report on it's speed/performance.  I bought it to back up my OS and files after getting hit with some viruses last month. Thanks to this forum and malwarebytes, I'm clean.   I plan to do it this weekend if work will leave me alone long enough to get it done.  I do real estate, so am on the computer ALOT.  It's hard to be without the desktop when I am busy emailing, printing etc. 

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

New Egg has the Seagate Backup Plus 2TB USB 3.0 Black Desktop Hard Drive STCA2000100 on sale for $79.99 with prpmo code: EMCWWVV52

or

TOSHIBA Canvio 3.0 Plus 1.5TB USB 3.0 Black Portable Hard Drive HDTC615XK3B1 for $69.99

or

Seagate Backup Plus for Mac 3TB 3.5" USB 3.0 Mac Storage - Desktop Model STCB300090 for $99.99 using promo code:  EMCWWVV54

The last one should work fine for the PC also, it may just not have the PC software.  So, pick the price you can afford, or the size you would like to have.

#9 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

do NOT buy another western digital my passport or any other WD drive in general

Myself and many others have had this SAME EXACT Problem you are currently dealing with, and the above poster who reccomends taking the old drive out and putting it into a new enclosure, you CANNOt do this because the connections are different, the my passport uses a 100% proprietary connector that I and many others have been unable to re-connect it using a different enclsoure.

This proprietary connection may not be used in other WD drives but do you want to buy a new, working WD drive then 2-3 years down the road when the connector becomes loose or unsoldered from its port come to find out that the same technology was used to build your drive? I would assume it will be and i for one will not be giving WD my money again.

I've had too much of luck with Seagate, and Lacie to use another WD drive.

Do not buy another western digital drive, choose a Seagate or Lacie brand. if you have the money buy a Lacie they are one of the best and their drives are very appealing to look at as well.

Edited by drwmbt, 22 November 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#10 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Been carrying this WD My Passport 2TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive Black (WDBY8L0020BBK-NESN) in my back pocket every day since last Christmas (gift). Works great.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

FWIW I mainly use Portable Eternal drives anymore. They are available up to 2 terabyte and only one cord is needed since they get their power through the USB port. I also only buy USB3 drives now. Even if You do not have a USB3 port now, Your next new computer most likely will.

I buy Seagate, and Western Digital mostly.

I just looked at what I have for this computer on hand. 2 1Tb Seagate for backing up windows. A 2Tb Western Digital for data backup alongside a NAS with mirrored drives.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 ChelseaWoolf

ChelseaWoolf

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

I Have these at work home and they work great. they are seperate enlosures so you need to get the drive and enlosures the other is a usb/esata dock which makes it easy to swap drives.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145167

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users