Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Ethernet Controller Drivers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 donscomputers

donscomputers

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

MSI K9N6PGM2-V mobo. Upgraded from XP PRO 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit. Everything else works fine except the ethernet controller cannot find drivers. I have tried multiple times to use the "Live Update" software. It will not execute. Circle spins then disappears. Running on wireless right now, but would prefer to be wired. Any ideas?
I have downloaded drivers direct from MSI website, they appear to install correctly, but the ethernet controller still has the yellow splat in the device manager. Go to Networking and the network card does not appear at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hi,

There are at least two different network cards used on that motherboard, to check the one you have please post the Device ID...

• Open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc)
  • right click the Network Card
  • click Properties > Tab Details > On the Property box select Hardware Ids
  • Copy & Paste the values on the box to your Reply

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 donscomputers

donscomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Ethernet Controller
That is all it says. Thanks for looking and hopefully this helps

Attached File  ethernet.jpg   99.75KB   2 downloads

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

Did you install the chipset driver for your motherboard for Windows 7 (32 or 64bit?) after reinstall? http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9N6PGM2-V2.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7%2064

Tekken

#5 donscomputers

donscomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

Yes that is the first thing I installed. It does not work. Thanks.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

Ethernet Controller
That is all it says. Thanks for looking and hopefully this helps

attachicon.gifethernet.jpg

Please follow my instructions because the image doesn't show the Hardware ID!

Edited by SleepyDude, 11 November 2013 - 09:19 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 donscomputers

donscomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

the network card does not show in the device manager. only the ethernet controller that says no drivers installed

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

the network card does not show in the device manager. only the ethernet controller that says no drivers installed

No problem open the Properties box in the picture and select Hardware ID from the list.

___
Rui

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

I presume that you were looking for your Network card... try looking into BIOS if there is a LAN card on/off option. If possible, check physically if there is a LAN card inserted on your motherboard and try reseatting it properly. The mobo specs network card brand is a Realtek according to the support site.

Tekken

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

I presume that you were looking for your Network card... try looking into BIOS if there is a LAN card on/off option. If possible, check physically if there is a LAN card inserted on your motherboard and try reseatting it properly. The mobo specs network card brand is a Realtek according to the support site.

If the network card isn't enabled on the Bios or physically there there will no be references on the Device Manager have according to the image the user posted.

Yes the network card is from Realtek but it could be on of two Realtek 8201CL or Realtek 8211BL-GR knowing the HardwareID will make possible to select the correct one.

___
Rui

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

If the network card isn't enabled on the Bios or physically there there will no be references on the Device Manager have according to the image the user posted.

Ok, sorry for the confusion. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#12 donscomputers

donscomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ok. Thanks for the information. Here is what I found out. I opened the case and the Ethernet is on-board. AND there was an Ethernet PCI card inserted. I removed the PCI card and restarted the computer. Then no network adapters show up in the device manager at all. Restarted, went into bios and on board LAN was enabled. It never shows up in the device manager. Shut down, reinserted the PCI card, restarted the computer and here is what I get:

The card says SMC LF-50HX on one of the chips on the card. Here is the screenshot of the device manager with the card inserted. Still running on the wireless. Thanks again.

#13 donscomputers

donscomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

1. Attached File  ethernet2.jpg   54.01KB   1 downloadsSorry the screenshot did not go. Will try again to attach it here.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Try downloading SIW home edition http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/siw_%28system_info%29.html

When installed, run SIW and then go to Hardware - Network Adapter. See if the PCI ethernet unknown adapter is recognized for the particular brand and model. Post what you find of the needed information. I was thinking if the card was still Realtek or its either replaced which you failed to provide.

Tekken

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Appears to be an Accton/SMC EN5251BE, for which I'm only finding legacy drivers. Suggestions point to the driver here:

http://www.smc.com/en-global/download/index?search=1&main=18&sub=0&model=0&keyword=smc1255

but this only offers 64 bit XP driver. You could try if this will work in Win 7, but I wonder if it wouldn't just be better to find a card that has Windows 7 64 bit drivers.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users