Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo's D: Partition - Can I shrink it to have more room on C:?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mtfalcon31

mtfalcon31

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have a Lenovo laptop, running Windows 7, and my C: drive is almost completely full. There's a D: partition that Lenovo created with a 29GB capacity, but has 25GB of free space on it. Is it possible to shrink this volume and add some of it to my C: drive to give me more space?
If so, how many GB should I move over, how should I go about doing this, and will it be safe without backing up? Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 voodoochildbc

voodoochildbc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Hi, can you post the specific model of your lenovo laptop?

A lot of times, these partitions are used to store recovery images, installations, and / or system drivers. We'll be able to give you a more concrete answer based on the model though.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

If this D: partition contains a recovery partition I would be inclined not to mess with it just in case it damages your chances of doing a successful recovery at some time in the future.

But you are correct, your Windows partition needs a mininum of somewhere between 10 and 15% of spare capacity for proper operation and you need to free up some space. There are a number of things you can do.

First of all, uninstall any programs that you no longer use. Then, if you have data that you only refer to occasionally consider moving it to an external hard drive. And finally, remove any accumulation of temporary files. These can build up to use significant amounts of hard drive space - I just removed 7 Gb from somebody's laptop a week ago.

A very good tool for this is CCleaner, which you can download - for free - from  www.piriform.com

When you run it, it opens in the 'Cleaner' window, and on the left hand side there are two buttons 'Windows'  and 'Applications'. You choose which parts of your system you want temporary files removing from, but, as in the image reference below, under 'Applications' make sure that the last entry 'Regedit' is un-ticked, ie not selected.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/plqy.jpg/

One other point - just use the Cleaner section. Do NOT use the 'Registry' tool - this is severely not advised.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 November 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#4 mtfalcon31

mtfalcon31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

model: Lenovo G560

Yes, D: seems to be the recovery partition, however it has never had a successful recovery backup. I will be posting another question about problems with that! Ccleaner did wonders, thank you Chris!
Thanks for your quick replies guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users