Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solving BSOD 0x124 - PC not booting into Win7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs_gumby

Mrs_gumby

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

My daughter's PC is having severe BSOD problems. 

Today we've had multiple instances of:

Kernel Power 0x00000124

Machine_Check_Exception 0x0000009C

Uncorrectable Hardware Error 0x00000124

At this point, it won't boot into windows at all normally. Choosing to Attempt repair windows ends up back at the same Window's isn't starting properly screen.  Safe mode stays up 2 minutes at the very most between BSOD's, often less.  I've tried a different power supply. BUT it was a used one from my son's old system. 

All the fans are working.  There have been no previous problems with overheating.  Last year we had a failing hard drive, video card and intermittent problems with USB ports.  This is a home-built system.  Motherboard MSI K9VGM-V with an Athlon X2 series CPU.  Running Windows 7 with 2G Ram.  

Any ideas on narrowing down the cause? 

Edited by hamluis, 11 November 2013 - 07:44 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hi

Unlike blue screens, a STOP 0x124 won't give us much info to troubleshoot. What it says is "CPU detected a fatal hardware error" and that is all. Usually it can be caused by any major hardware part in the system. Please try the below steps one by one.

1. Open side cover and reset all connectors. Remove and reinsert peripheral cards from their slots.

2. Clean the system interior and  make sure CPU is not overheating. You can onitor temperature from BIOS setup.

3. Reset system BIOS.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

#3 Mrs_gumby

Mrs_gumby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

Cleaned System interior.  Temperature seems fine, I monitored it for a bit in BIOS.  Ran Memtest86+, that's fine too.  Pulled the hard drive & ran a disk check using my PC.  No obvious issues.  Making a Live Ultimate Boot CD right now, hoping to find a tool that will take another check of the hard drive, and maybe motherboard.   At this point, it rarely makes it through the starting windows screen before restarting.  In safe mode it might make it all the way to the desktop before it crashes to a blue screen.  I wrote down all the stop codes from the last couple of BSOD's, if that helps at all. 

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Any thing new to the system. Software/Hardware even if it seems minor. Pull the video card and use the

onboard.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

any post beep codes?

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 Mrs_gumby

Mrs_gumby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Nope, and Nope.  Nothing new in the last couple of weeks.  Was working normally the other day.  It posts OK, though for the last several months I have to press F1 to continue.  I can boot to CD/DVD fine.   I can boot to Ultimate Boot CD or Memtest, but not into windows.  Sometimes I can make it as far as the Windows 7 dots forming the logos, other times not.  I did manage to choose startup repair once this afternoon instead of safe mode or start windows normally.  It stayed on long enough to tell me that Startup repair could not fix the problem.  I Just tried booting to the Windows 7 CD - No go, repeated BSOD for Machine Check Exception 0x0000009c. 

Ultimate boot CD CPU tools would invariably end up stopped in a few seconds with "kernel Panic - not syncing" or something similar.

Would a bad windows update cause this?  I doubt it, but doesn't hurt to ask. 

After all this, I'm thinking motherboard or CPU problem.  We had some issues with USB ports not working properly last year, and a failed hard drive around that time.  I replaced the video card a while ago, don't remember if the old one failed, or if I just wanted to use a bigger monitor.  We had a recent power outage, a couple of weeks ago.  I get problems with both PSU's that I've tried, so that doesn't immediatly seem to be the solution.

Edited by Mrs_gumby, 11 November 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

Since you've run most of the basic hardware diagnostics, I'd suspect a bad motherboard, especially since you have a history of problems with the computer. Generally, I'd suspect software problems, but since this has apparently been a persistent problem, I'm going to vote for a bad mainboard. Processors rarely fail. I think I've warrantied 1 in 14 years. Unfortunately, there isn't a cheap and easy way to test a motherboard. I'd probably shop for a replacement.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#8 Mrs_gumby

Mrs_gumby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for confirming my hunch.  I'll do some shopping this morning I guess. 

#9 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for confirming my hunch.  I'll do some shopping this morning I guess. 

Please update us on how things work out for you, and good luck with the repair.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#10 Mrs_gumby

Mrs_gumby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'll keep you informed as to the status of the repair.  I did find a motherboard available for my components.  But, since I don't have the time to fix it right now, I decided just to get a new system for me and give my daughter mine.  This will give us time to repair the other system, or part it out to fix my son's as necessary.  Thank you so much for your help and feedback, it saved me at least a week of aggravation & frustration.  :)

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:28 AM

If I may add my two cents here. The system BIOS uses very little to no CPU processing, since the CMOS has control at this point. So the CPU temperature won't rise as much as it would once the windows startup graphics hit your screen. That's where things start to heat up and can cause crashes. I would suggest looking into re-applying thermal grease to your CPU header and heat sink.

It is not unheard of to have USB connectors go bad, after all, we do connect and disconnect devices from those ports more than we realize and the four tiny connectors do get compressed to the point that they no longer make contact with their mating surfaces. I often find using a tiny pin with the tip slightly bent near the tip allows for bringing those USB port prongs back out of hiding. Of course, you'd want to use strong light and a magnifying glass to make the job easier.

One last issue that sometimes plagues older motherboards is capacitors that leak electrolyte, once this starts happening and it usually affects the caps closer to the CPU, the motherboard will start having startup issues and exhibit system crashes once the CPU has a heavy load thrown at it. So you may want to look into that as being a possibility.

Please give the thermal grease a try and see if this corrects the problem.

Any questions concerning that, please free to ask.

Kind regards..

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 November 2013 - 01:31 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

As MrBruce mentioned look for bad capacitors, also I saw no mention of a memory test, Unless I missed it. Bad memory can cause Your problem too. As for Capacitors can You post a sharp image of the motherboard?

Thank You

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users