Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Antivirus Security Pro and Windows Command Processor W/ ComboFix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DreamPanda

DreamPanda

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

I did that without knowing I was supposed to have supervision for using combofix.  My scans using three different malware removal tools including malwarebytes came back clean.  But there is an entry in my Startup tab list of Task Manage for (4) Windows command Processor as "enabled" by "Microsoft corporation".  I posted a question about it chatting as a guest and was scolded for using combofix without supervision and that I should come over and post my log before doing anything about the Windows Command Processor(4) entry.  I disenabled it anyway before coming over and created my account.  What should I do now?  I left the log from combofix in its whatever default place but can't find it.  I did upload the screen print nt from task manager-startup tag to imgur.  the Windows Command Processor was not showing in the actual Process tab of the task manager, btw.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

So you had a startup called Windows Command Process or a process called that? Do you remember if combofix found anything

#3 DreamPanda

DreamPanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

I don't remember but here is one of the (I thought more reliable) links where the annoying Windows Command Process was mentioned as a virus, and someone provided a removal suggestion. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/what-popular-virus-removal-product-will-remove/462affb5-d2bf-4793-98eb-f17c8aa0d0b7.

I did that and then used malwarebytes, bitdefender as well as the windows malware removal program to scan my laptop, malwarebytes detected three, and vag did one, bitdefender nothing.   

the computer is now running fine for now, but the name of windows command processor showed up as in the startup when I looked task manager.  That's when I went on your website to ask my question.  Any follow ups I should do?  any recommendations on the antivirus programs I should use? - preferably compatible with windows 8. 

Also, is it now safe for me to do a system back up and upgrade to windows 8.1?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Sorry, I did not get the notification that you replied. The Windows Command Processor entry in Task Manager is for the legitimate program cmd.exe (command prompt) program. If you did not start it on your own then that is a bit more concerning, but not 100% indicative of a infection.

If you are concerned, you may want to consider create a virus removal topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users