Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Electric Vehicles The Future Of Travel With Gas Prices So High?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

Some of the electric cars that werent stylish or that good have been taken off the market. The toyota rav 4 ev has been kept and so have several others. Many people even convert cars to electric.

I read about the rav 4 ev and it seems its about 1 buck for every 50-60 miles driven. It has over 100 miles per charge too unlike the ford ranger ev which has like 60+-....

Some use solar panels to charge there cars and so the panels and the car pay for themselves. With gas going up this could work well for transportation in a world without gas and overpriced gas. All you would need is a few solar panels to charge it.

If a lot of people drove them we could forget foreign oil! And emissions!

I also read that the power that comes from the power co. is a whole lot less toxic that car exhaust so it would even be a good change if we just used the power grid for power.

You can read some info here:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sou...sfla-news-front

http://www.drivingthefuture.com/

I think its a great idea really. I know ev's have been out for a while but they seem to work well many have said other than them being limited in range and slower taking off than the gas models...

Toyota was going to quit making its EV but decided to keep it in production.

It would be cool to know your getting around for so cheap even with high gas prices...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

One problem, the government won't like it if everyone made the switch. There would be nothing to tax. :thumbsup:

#3 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:50 PM

Thank you for the fantastic post CowsGoneMad.

Yano, I'm not so sure about that. The goverment of this nation answers to the people. If the people want electric cars and are angry enough about gas prices, the gobmit better durn well find a way to either help or stand aside. Or start polishing up their resumes.

Thanks for the great info!! :thumbsup:

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

Lets see the biggest electirc gensets I know of are in trains. oddly enough powered by diesel fuel no less.

Cowsgonemad picture 80K lbs going down the highway (a fully loaded 18 wheeler). How we all complain that they go so slow up the grades and how (if youve ever driven anything bigger than a 1 ton pickup you'll know this) the Jake brake is a god send going down the other side. An electric motor would cost torque and cause an even slower truck going up the grade. and as with most electric motors nothing touches so there is no way to hold the truck back going down the other side.

Also what is the price of one of these fancy electric cars? Last time I checked a small electric car was going for about $30-50k. Too much money for almost 1/2 the nation who survive paycheck to paycheck

Posted Image

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:21 PM

Im not saying everything goes to electric. Personal cars not semis. At the rate batteries are and like you said about torque a truck of that size could not opperate on electric and batteries.

The toyota ev is like 45-50k in price. If they were mass produced were looking at prob 25k or less maybe?

Its about cleaning up the enviroment and having freedom to drive. Gas prices at 10 bucks or more a gallon will stop all driving accept to work almost. Only the rich would drive far with prices like that. Everything we get in the stores is delivered by boats overseas and by trucks from things made in america. They all run on fuel. When fuel is not needed for the millions of cars out there gas price goes down.

It would work like retail. Not many items selling they lower the price so they can keep selling. When gas would not be needed as much it would go down.

Getting off of foreign oil would do a lot for this country. But the oil co.'s are holding off as long as they can and prob trying to force EV makers to stop making the cars so they wont loose there record high profits.

Evs wont work for everyone and everything. But if millions use them the technology can grow and be used for more and more things.

One more thing to add. If you want to get a electric car without spending a lot of money I read with labor and parts most cars and trucks can be converted over to electric for 8000 or less! The lighter the car the better mileage it can get so a car like a honda accord or a chevy cobalt would do well. 8000 would pay itself back quickly as gas prices keep rising.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 01 May 2006 - 10:23 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:09 AM

Electric is one option, but the hybrids are the most plausable at the moment, but if I was a betting person, I would put my money on engines fueled by hydrogen...the fuel cell.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:35 AM

Hydrogen isnt going to work for now I read. It is going to take tremendous amount of effort to even get a storage device for a hydro powered car. The tanks are huge heavy and bulky. The cars are even slower than electrics? and cost very very much.

If you have to use gas to make hydrogen your going nowhere away from being free of using gas too.

Also I wanted to add this. What about the use of air powered cars?
Looks very neat too! 3 bucks to go 100-200 miles sounds excellent!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_engine
and
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/air-car.htm

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 02 May 2006 - 10:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users