Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which system would work best for me

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mirciu88

mirciu88

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hi guys, 
I'm looking at buying a new Pc for arch-type work , rendering and not-too-often gaming . 

I have two options, one with AMD CPU and one with Intel CPU, both at the very limit of my budget so please don't make any over the top suggestions ( and only if you see any major flaws ). 

http://www.mediadot.ro/wishlist/36538/ 

or 

http://www.mediadot.ro/wishlist/36537/ 

I was initially set on goind with AMD but i can't shake the feeling that Intel may also be a good buy. I realise that the diff. between the two boil down to the CPU's : 
AMD is overall more powerful and better in multithreaded processes / draws more w 
Intel is way better on single threaded processes / draws less w. 

I'm into BIM software such as Revit or Allplan, Max + Vray for rendering and there's also the gaming aspect. 

Thanx for your reply's.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

If you didn't gaming much I think Intel is better. Also AMD will have problems after long use, often with heat.

You may want to hear opnion from another people as well.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 mirciu88

mirciu88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thank you for your input. I have to say , i've been told to choose an AMD FX8xxx for two main reasons : overall power in CPU intensive activities such as rendering ( on all cores ) and future games ( and other apps ) which become more and more adapted to multi-core CPU's. 

Intel presents interest to me for it's low wattage and single - core power but it seems that it's not really a good investment future-wise. 

Regarding the heat problem with the AMD, i will also buy an aftermarket cooler. 

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

i would deploy an i-5 ivy on an asrock motherboard.. those things stay nice and cool.

rendering is an open gl issue.  i used to suggest the workstation class graphics cards (quadro and firepro) for that discipline until i found out that they are just overpriced firmware editions of many of the mid-range gaming cards anyway.   the gtx 660 gpu is definitely the end-all and be-all of any graphics application around for years to come and with a little effort, can be fudged and flashed into a workstaion class card as well..

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#5 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

There's no problem about AMD if you regulary clean inside your computer (About every month.) and make sure every fans inside your computer are working correctly.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#6 mirciu88

mirciu88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

@ synergy, 

Are you referring to rendering in the CUDA cores instead of the CPU ? I'm not sure if i understood you completely. 

I agree on the matter of Quadro and Firepro cards, the ones that are really powerful and useful are waay to expensive and , as you said, a driver away from the desktop commercial products.  

I plan to buy a gtx 760 which is spec'd over the 660.    

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Personal Opinion only. I prefer Intel.

The Only AMD CPU in the house is because it was a economy model Laptop when I wanted to try Windows 7 at the time it was released. I paid $329 US dollars for it. A Intel Celeron was higher priced. It is OK. But it really never was great until later on when I could I upgraded it to a SSD boot Drive. Then it became much more usable.

If You can squeeze in a Intel or Samsung SSD You will like the boost in performance.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

the 760 will be welcome ensemble as well.  yes, the cuda cores comes into play, but mostly you will want the open gl compatibility.  the AMD configurations are somewhere in a realm by themselves. some users claim to get by fine with them. i am fascinated by the whole apu aspect of them.

the i5 ivy is a cpu that is extremely powerful and energy efficient and the best bang for the buck, before the bell curve starts levelling out and the end user isn't getting very far ahead for the funds depleted.

#9 mirciu88

mirciu88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

I will get a SSD as soon as i can afford it . 

#10 mirciu88

mirciu88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

ok guys, which i5 3xxx are you suggesting ? I see there are a few available : 

- i5 3350P and 3340 are not much more expensive than the fx8320, 

- 3470 and 3570 are also available but more expensive ( but the decent mobo's for i5 are a bit cheaper than similar am3+ options ) . 

Why not go for the Haswell options ? the 4440 costs about the same as a 3470 . Others are more expensive. 

And i'm pretty sure the graphics on these chips is irrelevant to my case. 

#11 mirciu88

mirciu88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'm becoming really interested in the i5 4440 as it sits in the sweetspot for me, performance and budget wise. 

As i'm currently educating myself about pc hardware after years of being rather a noob, i see now that the mobo that i posted initially in the intel config is based in the cheapest chipset, the h81. I'm thinking that b85 or h87 are more suited for the job. The z series is out of budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128608 this caught my attention as it doesn't put too much strain on the all- so- tight budget :D 

would the more expensive one make any dif ? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128607

Edited by mirciu88, 10 November 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

it looks like the b85 is the better choice.

I built an i-5 ivy 3370k last september on an asrock extreme h77 mobo, and i remember telling the guy that it wasn't the fastest or greatest, but it is as good as it gets for the money. turns out he was getting by fine with the intel hd4000 integrated graphics. that was odd, i offered a gtx 660 but he was finished investing at that point. that mobo only has two ram slots so  i loaded up with 2x8 after i found out he was content with hd4000, and the integrated graphics taxes the RAM pretty hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users