Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro sometimes boots up with Classic desktop and XP themed task bar.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Syncopator

Syncopator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

Windows Classic theme is selected in Display Properties, but the computer has started booting up with the Classic desktop but with the task bar in those horrible Windows XP colours and design.

Changing to the XP theme and back to Classic in the Properties window returns the task bar to Classic.

How can I overcome this annoyance? 

It's a new, but a little dated,  machine, and is believed not to have been used by its previous owners, with a freshly installed operating system.

This probem has arisen since installing various applications.  Whether or not that is relevant, I couldn't say.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Right click on a blank piece of desktop and select 'Properties' from the contextual menu that appears. The desktop is controlled by the button that says 'Desktop' :- select the desktop you want, click 'Apply'; click 'OK' and that's that settled, and it should not change until you change it again. If you don't like any of the built in wallpapers, you can create your own. Any picture, image or graphic you like so long as it is either a bitmap ( .BMP ) or a .JPG type. Be as creative as you want, just save it - as either a .BMP or a .JPG - in C:\Windows\Web and you will find it listed the next time you go to properties.

Again, for the Windows colours, from 'Properties' select 'Themes' and pick the one of your choice. I have a laptop running XP sittiing beside me, and it is set to Windows XP (Modified). I personally find this quite innocuous, but if you don't like it you are welcome to try 'More themes online . . .' .  But again, pick the theme you want - or at least can live with - click 'Apply', click 'OK' and the job's done. And again, this shouldn't change unless you change it at a later date.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Syncopator

Syncopator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

Thank you Chris.

I didn't explain very well, sorry.  Poor choice of words.

The Theme is set to "Windows Classic", and the Desktop is set to "[None]".

The desktop which appears has the main window set with the pale blue (None) backghround, but the task bar is in the Windows Xp/Fisher Price/Teletubbies colours and style. 

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

I believe this best describes the issue:

xp_classic_9x.jpg

but with the modern taskbar as seen here:

xpTaskbar01.gif

I would load up a command prompt and type in the following:

chkdsk /f and answer the question with a Y and restart.

#5 Syncopator

Syncopator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

Thank you cryptodan, that's how the screen looked, and chkdsk/f fixed it.

Edited by Syncopator, 10 November 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

You are welcome, and if the issues happen again you may want to consider backing up your important documents and then replace the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users