Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall does not work - error code 0x6D9

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel_S

Daniel_S

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hello,

I have a problem that other users have already described here (and been able to remedy with assistance):  the Windows Firewall on my laptop does not work any more -- I cannot configure it through the control panel, and when I try to open it, it shows the message:

"The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are managing [obviously, that is not possible].  Error code: 0x6D9."

My operating system is Windows 7, 64bit version.  All recent Windows updates are installed.  I have Malwarebytes installed and ran a scan recently, with no results except for one tracking cookie.  I also have Sophos Antivirus installed, which also did not find anything when I ran a scan.

Perhaps somebody could be so generous and tell me what I could do about this?

Cheers,

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Known situation, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/cf5681ec-c8b3-4108-a203-1cce078665c1/windows-firewall-with-advanced-security-snapin-failed-to-load-error-code-0x6d9?forum=w7itprosecurity .

Louis

#3 Daniel_S

Daniel_S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for answering, Louis. I looked through the solutions documented there, but didn't find anything that helped me.

The fix/update that is referenced in the first post is already installed on my computer.

Then I tried to go through the solution provided below by one user, which was authored by somebody named Kumar.  Like the user, I did not find the file/document that would have indicated a rootkit infection, but I went through the process nonetheless.  However, at this point:

"[...]

Now Click on Everyone

Below you have permission for users

Select full control and click ok

Now, open RUN and type "services.msc" and click ok

start base filtering engine service and then windows firewall service

[...]"

...Firewall failed to start. 

I also tried the fix suggested by user narenxp, because many people reported that it worked for them:

"If that doesnt work
Go to RUN and type
regedit and click ok
Now navigate to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mpsdrv
Do you find this key? If yes
Go to RUN and type
devmgmt.msc and click ok
Now On top,click on VIEW--Show hidden devices
Now expand  Non plug and play drivers
See if you have  Windows firewall authorization driver
If you have it -Right click on it-Uninstall
Restart your PC and try to start the firewall"

...but, alas, the problem persists.

The other solutions that are listed below that and that refer to the "Group Policy Client service" seem to refer to other symptoms that I don't have, if I understood it correctly.

So I am still clueless...

Edited by Daniel_S, 12 November 2013 - 04:54 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

If the suggested fix by narenxp did not work...I suggest that you wait and see if anyone else here has any ideas.

Louis

Myself...I would try reinstalling SP1, based on the premise of possible file corruption.  Reinstalling it will do no harm and will replace various system files painlessly.

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#5 Daniel_S

Daniel_S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thanks again for the reply, Louis.  I tried to find out how to reinstall SP 1 and found this site:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1

I then proceeded to the download site: 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

After clicking on "download,"  I am asked to pick one (or several?) of a number of files.  Having a 64 bit system, I assume that this is the correct one:

windows6.1-KB976932-IA64.exe

But is it possible that I would also need to install some of the other files?

Thank you!

Edited by Daniel_S, 19 November 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

You should get windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

IA64 - for Intel Itanium processors

x64 - all kinds of 64 bit processors

x86 - all 32-bit processors

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:49 AM

FWIW, I recently cleaned a zero access rootkit off my cousin's laptop... along with a slew of other problems this nasty modified/disabled MANY security services including the Firewall. Running the Eset Services Repair Tool http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/Malware/ServicesRepair.exe (direct d/l link) restored/repaired ALL services.

Caveat Emptor applies as always, hope this helps :busy:

Edited by Union_Thug, 20 November 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#8 Daniel_S

Daniel_S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

This:

FWIW, I recently cleaned a zero access rootkit off my cousin's laptop... along with a slew of other problems this nasty modified/disabled MANY security services including the Firewall. Running the Eset Services Repair Tool http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/Malware/ServicesRepair.exe (direct d/l link) restored/repaired ALL services.

Caveat Emptor applies as always, hope this helps :busy:

has worked--my firewall is running again!  Thank you very much!

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:33 AM

You're very welcome however if this were my machine I would err on the side of caution and start a topic in Am I infected? What do I do? just to get a second opinion... often this type of behavior (Firewalls/AV's/ etc become disabled/non-functional) are the result of malware. You mentioned you have scanned w/ MBAM & Sophos (which are both fine products) but a deeper look may be in order...  you never know?

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 November 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:41 AM

Myself...I would try reinstalling SP1, based on the premise of possible file corruption.  Reinstalling it will do no harm and will replace various system files painlessly.

...or at the very least run sfc/ scannow command.

#11 Daniel_S

Daniel_S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Thank you again.  I ran the sfc/ scannow command function per the instructions, and it did not find any problems.  Perhaps I will just let the issue rest for the time being... I am a bit short on time right now.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users