Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GIMP Leaves SourceForge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Quote: 

"SourceForge, once a useful and trustworthy place to develop and host FLOSS applications, has faced a problem with the ads they allow on their sites - the green "Download here" buttons that appear on many, many adds leading to all kinds of unwanted utilities have been spotted there as well.

The tipping point was the introduction of their own SourceForge Installer software, which bundles third-party offers with Free Software packages. We do not want to support this kind of behavior, and have thus decided to abandon SourceForge.

From now on, Jernej Simončič, who provides the installer packages, uploads them to our FTP directly, and from there they will be distributed automatically to our mirrors..."

Please see gimp.org for full details and the best place to download GIMP (which I personally use and recommend)

Note: OMG the horrid green button and awful unwanted things is what actually led me to BC last July after pressing it to try and DL Gimp in the first place!!! Thank you Horrid Green Button!! *hehe 

Edited by Stolen, 09 November 2013 - 10:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

I hard about this, SourceForge was bought by another company that willfully distributes malware and other unwanteds, GIMP did not want a part of it so they left. they host it on their own site now last I knew. All those fake download buttons, thankfully I stopped getting those after getting Chrome and Adplot+{beta}. But sometimes stuff snuck through even then that MSE and MBAM got.

Good for GIMP.org for leaving SourceForge!!

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

I have found some open candy ads in programs available on sourceforge. This is very much unacceptable for open source programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users