Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CasCollins

CasCollins

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

So I didn't update my MBAM for a week. Today I decided to update it and I got a message saying the definitions is missing or corrupt and asked if I would like to download a new copy. I said yes, and it seemed to update fine. It told me that the definitions version updated from a buncha 0s to the current one. My questions are:

1) Why did it tell me the definitions are missing/corrupt?
2) Since it seemed to update correctly, does that mean the program will work fine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hello -

If you are not sure if your program is current or if it updated fully, please read This Topic from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FAQ area, and do a Clean Reinstall of your version (paid version or free version).
Follow the Free Version directions if this is what you want.
You may lose some history of old scans, but that is nothing to worry about.

Often you may find this the easy way if you had not updated for a while.

Thank You -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

There are a few issues which could cause the definitions is "missing or corrupt" message.

1. Improper installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It needs to reside on the same physical drive (not just mapped) as its program data and drivers. If not, updating does not work properly.

Some folks prefer to move their C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) folders to a D drive instead of the default C drive.

2. It could be the result of changed permissions set on C:\ProgramData folder. There is a Malwarebytes sub-folder in this location where the database is stored.

3. It could be the result of malware infection.

If the issue is not related to infection, running mbam-clean.exe, then performing a clean install usually resolves the problem. noknojon's instructions tell you how to do this.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 CasCollins

CasCollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Thanks noknojon I used the link and followed the directions. quietman7 I don't think any of those applied to my situation. I've had it MBAM for a while and I never got this problem before so I can rule out 1. I don't think permissions were changed but I guess 2 still works. Maybe it's 3 but I'm scanning it with MBAM now. Thanks for the information :)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

As I said, those were just a few issues which I found by reading through various topics at the MBAM forums. There may be other causes...I didn't read all the related topics.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users