Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doc/Lock

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 applicationerror

applicationerror

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

As you can see by my name, I think the crypt got my docs, poor guy, there's really not much there, but NOW I'll have to got to my hard copy and retype, thankfully I can type 50 wpm.  Any who, my question, how can I avoid this in the future?  Don't want to type and save/and U know what.  I'm not very knowledgeable about computers.  If you can give me some good advice, it's greatly appreciated, just don't use too many fancy words :))

All my files are orangish, and when I click, it says I need to purchase the Word Office program from Microsoft, is it possible that is all it is?

BiL

Trying to put my picture up, too large, any recommendations, I know this is basic, I do appreciate any help another offers.

Edited by hamluis, 09 November 2013 - 06:17 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,877 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

If this is a new computer it is entirely possible that you have been running a trial version of MS Office and the trial period has come to an end. Which means that, if you want to continue using Office, yes, you are going to have to buy a copy, or at least a license (you already have the copy !)

There are several alternatives open to you, other than going out and paying MS the full whack. For example, if you can describe yourself as some sort of student you can buy it at a very substantial discount; you may be able to get a legal copy through your work, also at a discount; and there are one or two other ways of getting MS Office legally at less than the MS headline price.

As an alternative, you could consider installing either Open or Libre Office. These are two freely downloadable office suites. While they have their own file formats, they are both capable of reading the MS file formats such as .DOCX and producing documents in MS compatible formats. They are worth a look.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 applicationerror

applicationerror
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

Chris, thanks for your imput....I hope and think what U said is most likely my issue.  So when I do purchase what's needed, should that open up all the documents?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users