Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Ram Speeds?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

So I have built my computer with this ram inside 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

And as it says there it is 1600 MHz speeds but yet when I do a speccy scan over my hardware, it shows that my ram runs at 674 MHz. Why is that and how do I boost it to its proper speeds? 

Capture3_zps925592fa.jpg

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

You have sixteen GB of RAM running in single channel, we need to see what the different modules are.  Please follow the directions below to provide us with the whole speccy report.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 09 November 2013 - 04:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Quantum41

Quantum41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3Fdg5lGx7TnfxSrBtReXuor

This more of what you are looking for? :) 

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thank you, that is what I was looking for.

This is weird.  It shows you have 16GB of RAM installed, but only list one of the two modules.  We can see what the module in slot one is, but the other module is unknown.  

Are these two modules the same?

How do you have the modules populated?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

the sabertooth owners manual should shed more info, my sabertooth is an x58 and i have three different RAM types in its 6 slots and it reads them fine., there is a memok! switch on the board i think close to the slots. my mobo calls for ddr3 10700, but then i stuck 12800 sticks in it twice and it read fine in a backward direction.

Edited by synergy513, 09 November 2013 - 10:44 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 Quantum41

Quantum41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Yea when i installed the RAM i used the manual and it told me to install it how i have it now. The speccy diag only shows one card but i have 16 gb in and I have 2 x 8 gb cards. They are both the same and they are this pack, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

If the modules are populated properly, and the modules are seated properly the ram should be in dual channel.

Open the case and make sure the modules are properly seated.

I would like you to run Memtest86 to see if there is a problem with either of the RAM modules.  But first remove one module and try running the computer with it in each slot.  Do the same with the other module.

1) Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2) Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

4) Please download and install ImageBurn.

5) Insert blank CD into your CD drive.

6) Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

7) Click on the Browse for a file... icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

8) Locate the memtest86 file, and click on the Open button.

9) Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

10) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be neccessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display similar to the one below will appear.  Note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

memtest1_zps7be717f5.png

#8 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

So I have built my computer with this ram inside 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

And as it says there it is 1600 MHz speeds but yet when I do a speccy scan over my hardware, it shows that my ram runs at 674 MHz. Why is that and how do I boost it to its proper speeds? 

Capture3_zps925592fa.jpg

If you look at the specifications tab on newegg's product information page, you'll see this information: "To reach rated memory speed, enabling Intel XMP profile or manual BIOS tuning is required".

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users