Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

security info

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

I hope I'am in the right forum but had a question if anyone knew what company that has anti virus security for windows 7 would be good to use and which anti virus protection list that do not use 3rd party software if there is such a thing. thankyou for reading

Gina

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 November 2013 - 01:05 PM.
moved from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

The answer to your questions can be found in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Many Anti-virus and security vendors bundle toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install" and recoup associated business costs. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads and is typically the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it. If you install too fast, you most likely will miss the "opt out" option and end up with software you do not want or need. The best practice is to take your time during installation of any program and read everything on the screen before clicking that "Install" or "Next" button. Even then, in some cases, this opting out does not always seem to work as intended.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 TerryV

TerryV

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

I have a similar question, as I have just acquired a Win7 laptop and want to keep it clean. I have used Zone Alarm in the past, and still use it on my Vista laptop, it seems to work as advertised, it is a two way firewall, keeps stuff out, and if any thing get in, keeps it from calling home. How does the community feel about this product? I have since been back to their web site and cannot buy a single use licence as I did previously. I don't need to pay for three PC's. But what I'd really like to hear is what is recommended with Win7, Thanks, TerryV,

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

I use Windows 7 built in firewall on all three of our family computers. It is free and much improved since the one released for XP.

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

I have a windows 7 as well with built in firewall. this is a nice pc

The answer to your questions can be found in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Many Anti-virus and security vendors bundle toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install" and recoup associated business costs. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads and is typically the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it. If you install too fast, you most likely will miss the "opt out" option and end up with software you do not want or need. The best practice is to take your time during installation of any program and read everything on the screen before clicking that "Install" or "Next" button. Even then, in some cases, this opting out does not always seem to work as intended.

Ok thank you I have seen this list on the website.  thankyou very much :clapping:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

You're welcome.