Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 OEM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

Can an individual buy an OEM copy of Windows 7.  Attempting my first build and quite a difference in price.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

Yes. For Example

Home 64Bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

or http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I

or http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213932&CatId=4622

Pro 64Bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

or http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0T0LU

or http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213934&CatId=4622

FWIW I only buy where they do the selling, Not an outside vendor from their site.

There You are Three vendors.

Also Quite often the small computer store also have the OEM version for sale.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

FWIW: An OEM copy of an OS is tied to the machine it is installed on and the hardware used to build it. If the machine is sold or given away the copy goes with it. However a Full Retail(read more expensive) version can be installed on any subsequent machine providing it is uninstalled from previous machine/s.

Just food for thought if you plan on keeping the OS through multiple machines.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

My experience, and this may have changed lately, is that OEM versions of XP and W7 can be installed on different hardware after a 120 day waiting period from the last activation. If not directly, then through the phone activation process.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

My experience, and this may have changed lately, is that OEM versions of XP and W7 can be installed on different hardware after a 120 day waiting period from the last activation. If not directly, then through the phone activation process.

You can change any hardware you want to at any time, except the motherboard or the hdd.  If you change the motherboard you will need to install the operating system on the hdd.   This is because each motherboard chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.  You will have to reinstall the os and reactivate the operating system once this is done.  And obviously you would need to activate the operating system after it has been installed on another hdd.

OEM machines are shipped with the os activated by the manufacturer.  For this reason Microsoft may suggest that you go to the manufacturer to activate the os.

Animal's information is spot on, as usual.

Edited by dc3, 09 November 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Roger.  I've been looking at newegg from the link you posted.

FWIW: An OEM copy of an OS is tied to the machine it is installed on and the hardware used to build it. If the machine is sold or given away the copy goes with it. However a Full Retail(read more expensive) version can be installed on any subsequent machine providing it is uninstalled from previous machine/s.

Just food for thought if you plan on keeping the OS through multiple machines.

I've still got the PC I had before the one I'm using now so they tend not to leave.

You can change any hardware you want to at any time, except the motherboard or the hdd.  If you change the motherboard you will need to install the operating system on the hdd.   This is because each motherboard chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.  You will have to reinstall the os and reactivate the operating system once this is done.  And obviously you would need to activate the operating system after it has been installed on another hdd.

OEM machines are shipped with the os activated by the manufacturer.  For this reason Microsoft may suggest that you go to the manufacturer to activate the os.

Animal's information is spot on, as usual.

Many things I never knew, thank you both for the information.

I have been having a local company build for me since 2000 and have decided to do it myself this time.  I had to replace a HD last October and restored to almost where it was with my bi-weekly backup from Acronis so I think I'm ready.  My XP machine still works great but with the support ending next year I think it's time to move up.  Thanks again for the info and education.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

Just some additional information: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/difference-between-oem-academic-full-versions/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users