Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8.1 upgrade right click on start menu broken

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Schteev

Schteev

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:58 AM

Hi..
I bought a new laptop that came with windows 8. I did all the upgrades in windows updates, installed adobe cs suite, kaspersky, and office.. And then a few days later I installed windows 8.1.
Now.. When I right click on the start menu (to get the contextual menu that has programs and features /task manager / control panel / start etc) none of those menu items work. -I get the spinning circle for few seconds then nothing appears. For example if I click on 'control panel' the control panel window does not open

I added a second account just now. In the second account the menu is working fine.
Is there something I can copy from one account to the other to make it work again?

Thanks if you can help!
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Try Windows key & X to see if it opens up the menu, which is the same as right clicking on the icon on the taskbar.  You need to really learn the Windows key shortcuts.

#3 Schteev

Schteev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

thanks.

and you really need to learn to read more carefully!

As above.. the menu opens fine - I can right click, touch hold start button with my finger, press winows x, or dance the magic windows start rumba (do you know that one?)

It is the menu items in the list do not work

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

For your information, if you want help, it helps to drop the sarcasm.  Second I did read what you posted, and you left a lot of information out of what is exactly going on.  It helps to know if your laptop has a touchscreen, or is it a tablet running Windows 8.x on it, not a actual laptop (big difference there).

Also third party software can keep stuff from working correct, so it does help by not allowing those processes to run at boot up, like Kapersky, etc..  I have never had issues with the Right context menu on Windows 8.x.  But then again I do not use a laptop with a touch interface.

#5 4033Nerd

4033Nerd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

The following instruction issued from a Command Prompt should sort it out:

xcopy %SystemDrive%\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX /e /y

#6 haiphuong312

haiphuong312

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

good experiment, I will read more carefully

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users