Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware Aurora m9700

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hello all,

I'm trying to revive my old Alienware Aurora m9700.

Specs
http://www.techspot.com/review/9-alienware-aurora-m9700-laptop/page4.html?mobile=false

The ongoing issue that I've been having is well the monitor is off. The lights go on for power/charging and the touchpad but nothing else. M9700's all have shown signs of faulty factory LCD's but the strange part is the HDD isn't doing anything either which doesn't help. Also, the laptop is pron to overheat so reseating of the CPU/GPU and re-applying of thermal paste was done regularly during its lifetime. I certain do hope it isn't one of the nvidia cards that are messed up... I'm just stumped with this machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

Let's check out the hdd first.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.  The specs show that you have a Seagate hdd.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

imgb1_zpsbb69e759.png

Right click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Downloads.  Scroll down to the SeaTools for DOS download and click on it.  This will load the ISO image, you will see the information listed as it is in the image below outlined in red.

imgb2_zps3f021ae7.png  

Click on the blue arrow (also outlined in red) to start burning the bootable CD.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the long test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't see why I'd need to do this... Being that the screen a black and not responsive. I could just swap the HDD to see if its that.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

Have you tried using an external monitor?

The hdd with the operating system needs to be tested.  This can be done by installing it in another computer and running the diagnostics from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

I really don't remember if I once did this check... I'll try it ahain just in case. I swapped the HDD's and nothing happens, black screen HDD light doesn't do anything... HDD light flickers when I hold down the power button but intermittently. Also, once I hold the power button to turn it off it won't response it'll stay on.

#6 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

Nope, tried both VGA and DVI, no signal from my PC's monitor. I'm guessing the mobo is dead.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Do you have access to a graphics card which you could use to see if the problem is with the GeForce graphics cards.

One other thing to try the graphics cards one at a time to see if one of them has gone south.

Edited by dc3, 10 November 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

There are two other things to try.  If you have more than one RAM module remove one and try it in both slots.  Do this with the other module as well.

If you have a multimeter with a DC scale you can test the output voltage of the power adapter.  The output voltage will be listed on the adapter.

#9 }{yBr!D^

}{yBr!D^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

I tried it all, thanks. I posted it on eBay for parts/repair. I give up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users