Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have motherboard issues.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 duramax603

duramax603

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

I'm just going to dive right in with my first post.  I have an HP and this is my problem.  I've been told the mobo is shot, but the trouble is finding a new one.  Here are the specs on it: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03381888 .  I don't want to send it back to HP because I don't want to give them any more of my money and the Easy Tech guys said a new mobo is on backorder until the next ice age.  Can I put in a non OE mobo and still have it work?  I'm very mechanically inclined but I'm a rookie when it comes to the inner workings of a pc.  I just need to get the friggin thing working so my wife can use it for her photo editing. Somebody, help me please.

Thanks,

Sean

Edited by duramax603, 08 November 2013 - 11:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer.com, duramax603! Your board has an unusual layout for the rear connectors, and I don't think you are going to find a non-HP replacement that will work. From reading the specs on the board, I'd anticipate problems with some of the front panel connectors as well. You can fudge some on the front panel connectors, but looking at the rear I/O arrangement makes me dubious that you would find a board that would work in the available space.

Best bet would be to simply do a search for the Joshua-H61 board and see if anyone is selling them online, then spend some time checking out the vendors.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 duramax603

duramax603
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the help.  This is the only one I could find: http://www.amazon.com/Foxconn-H61MX-LGA1155-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B005EF7ODM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384006877&sr=8-1&keywords=h61+joshua+motherboard.  Would it work?

Sean

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nope. The thing is the case and the I/o ports on the back. Get a case and a board that work

making sure your memory is compatible with the board and switch everything out.

If your board is still warranted Id try HP 

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hate to butt in but roodo are you sure your looking at the right computer? I just went to the provided link and it shows a picture of the actual motherboard and it looks like a standard micro-atx motherboard and a standard micro-atx motherboard to me to me unless I'm missing something which I don't believe I am. The ports dont matter the new board will come with a little piece that will clip on the back of the case and allow proper hookup of all cables and keep dust out. Any micro-atx motherboard with socket 1155 should work, and actually work better if you choose a quality one such as this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128619

Of course if its under warranty its best to just ship it to HP and let them fix it for free.

Edited by the_patriot11, 12 November 2013 - 12:12 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

In fact according to the link that is a mid-atx tower so you should be able to slide a atx motherboard into it with no problem. I just looked a little closer and your motherboard uses a uatx factor which is basically just a shorter micro atx board and not a big deal. Like I said its a mid-atx case so any micro-atx board should work as well as some of your smaller ATX form factor boards.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hate to butt in but roodo are you sure your looking at the right computer? I just went to the provided link and it shows a picture of the actual motherboard and it looks like a standard micro-atx motherboard and a standard micro-atx motherboard to me to me unless I'm missing something which I don't believe I am. The ports dont matter the new board will come with a little piece that will clip on the back of the case and allow proper hookup of all cables and keep dust out. Any micro-atx motherboard with socket 1155 should work, and actually work better if you choose a quality one such as this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128619

Of course if its under warranty its best to just ship it to HP and let them fix it for free.

The kicker you often find with HPs and Dells is the the R/F shield is often a permanent part of the case. So, unless you are willing to get the sheet metal shears out, you have a problem with aftermarket boards.  Also, since the computer includes some "features" such as the One Touch Restore button, I'd try to take find an OEM board. In fact, it's hard to find an HP that doesn't have some kind of "gotcha" that makes it difficult to use a lot of aftermarket hardware.

Edited by slgrieb, 12 November 2013 - 04:22 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#8 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Whether the board will work actually depends on your case. All cases have a R/F shield on the back to reduce radio emissions. The shield surrounds the rear panel connectors. Currently, a lot of Big Name brands use an R/F shield that's integral with the case. That means unless your replacement board exactly matches the layout of the connectors on the original board, it won't fit without a lot of effort. Again, my best suggestion would be to get on eBay and search for an exact replacement for your board, or do a general search for a replacement. That's my best suggestion for a "least hassle" solution.

WIFFLEBALL!

#9 duramax603

duramax603
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Thanks guys.  I acutally have an Asus board on the way.  I did find 1 HP mobo on fleabay, but who's to say that one won't croak in a week.  I heard HP is having a problem with their mobos.  As far as the tin-snips go, that's one thing I have plenty of experience with.  And if the snips don't work I always have the BFH as the last resort. :smash:   Again, thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes.

#10 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

If you have no problem cutting the tower, no problem then. I did look at

a pic of the back of that tower maybe the shield pops out. But as Slgrieb

said usually there one piece. Manufacturers sell you their board their tower. 

not something you can easily sub.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

HP is better then most manufacturers are about not using proprietary parts and allowing easy upgrade ability. If I were being a betting man, then I would bet that this case would have a remove able I/o shield. Otherwise they would have coupled that uATX board with a smaller case.

picard5.jpg

#12 duramax603

duramax603
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

If you have no problem cutting the tower, no problem then. I did look at

a pic of the back of that tower maybe the shield pops out. But as Slgrieb

said usually there one piece. Manufacturers sell you their board their tower. 

not something you can easily sub.

HP is better then most manufacturers are about not using proprietary parts and allowing easy upgrade ability. If I were being a betting man, then I would bet that this case would have a remove able I/o shield. Otherwise they would have coupled that uATX board with a smaller case.

It does look like the shield will pop right out.

#13 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'll agree that the replacement board will probably work, but I'm not sure that I'm going to ever agree that HP doesn't use a lot of proprietary parts. About 2 months ago I had a system come in with what was apparently a bad DVD drive, and I thought I had it covered since I have both laptop and desktop drives on hand. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that the drive looked like a standard desktop drive, but instead of a  button on the front of the drive. the system used an electrical release with a little two prong connector on the back of the drive and a remotely mounted switch to open the tray.

Cost of a standard DVD drive, about $18 bucks. Cost of a replacement for HP's oddball drive, $67. Obviously, our experience varies, but after doing PC service for a living for 14 years, I'm really not a huge fan of HP hardware. Sorry, but my assessment of both HP and Dell remains the same: if there is any way to make repairing a computer more awkward, they will find it. 

Edited by slgrieb, 13 November 2013 - 05:07 PM.

WIFFLEBALL!

#14 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thanks guys.  I acutally have an Asus board on the way.  I did find 1 HP mobo on fleabay, but who's to say that one won't croak in a week.  I heard HP is having a problem with their mobos.  As far as the tin-snips go, that's one thing I have plenty of experience with.  And if the snips don't work I always have the BFH as the last resort. :smash:   Again, thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes.

Absolutely keep us updated on how the board works for you.

WIFFLEBALL!

#15 PackLeader

PackLeader

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hi found one at Ali Express...$90.00...free shipping

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-for-HP-desktop-Motherboard-for-Joshua-H-JOSHUA-H61-uATX-Mainboard-670960-001-Intel/215107_763022020.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users