Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox issues - MBAM findings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

I've been having issues with Firefox where the application will open, but something is closing it behind the scenes. However, when you open Firefox back up everything seems to run correctly.  Then recently noticed when typing search criteria the typed characters would delete themselves or space bar entries would not be recorded.  I ran MBAM and it found a PUP.optional.WAJAM.A and a few others. All of the findings were quaratined and cleaned, but the issues seemed to continue.  I pulled up this message on the net and found a site that gives instructions how to clean this off my computer, and that has caused major issues.  It had me install ADWCleaner and run a scan.  It seemed to take care of things, but now when I open Firefox it opens 3 different tabs.  Browser never goes to my home page and the 3rd tab is always WOT signup. I went ahead and ESET Online Scanner and it said the ADWCleaner I installed was an issue. 

I'm running Norton Security Suite as my AV software and also have Spyware Blaster installed.  So I need assistance to figure out what is going on with my computer, but I honestly cannot figure it out.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

You can ignore the ESET detection of AdwClearner...it is a false positive detection.

Stop Firefox from opening multiple tabs when it starts

Note: From the General tab you can also select Restore to Default.

Also check for and disable or remove any unwanted add-ons from your browser:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

I already did all of this and it is not not working correctly.  I put in yahoo.com as my default page and it keeps changing everything back to defaults.  I was able to get rid of one tab by disabling my web of trust add-on.  What is weird is that when I launch firefox both tabs that get opened are:

<picture of lock> Mozilla Foundation (US) <this is in green text>  followed by https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/25.0/firstrun/

<picture of firefox logo> Firefox <this is in orange text> followed by | Search or enter address

What is weird is that I didn't upgrade Firefox to 25.0 yet and I've never had the browser run in this manner.

I still think I have some annoying little bug on this computer that is causing it, but I cannot seem to find it with the tools I have at my disposal.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

I have had the same issue with Firefox from time to time over the years. It seems to be a quirk in the Firefox browser that just happens now and then.

What I have done after it opens multiple tabs is this:
1. Open a new tab with your desired home page.
2. Close all other tabs.
3. Go to Tools > Options > General tab and make sure "Show my home page" is selected When Firefox starts.
4. Click on Use Current Pages...mine shows as http://www.google.com/

Note it says pages (plural) so be sure only one page is showing in the Home Page block.

5. Click ok, close and restart the browser.

#5 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

I tried what you suggested and I still get the exact same 2 tabs that show up each time.  Firefox must really be messed up because it sounds like you are very confident there is no PC issues going on. 

I went ahead and downloaded Chrome to see if I'm going to have the same issues here. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

My next suggestion would be to do this:
* Create a new profile within Firefox
* Remove the Firefox profile where you are having issues.

Another option would be to perform a clean Unininstall/Reinstall of Firefox.

1. Uninstall Firefox via Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then reboot.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which will perform a more thorough job of removal and follow these instructions for using it.

Uninstalling Firefox with the default options does not remove your user profile, which includes personal information such as bookmarks, passwords and cookies. If you also want to remove this information, you should remove the folder that contains your Firefox profile, which is stored in a separate location from the Firefox program.

Uninstalling Firefox

This step is only recommended if you want to completely remove Firefox from your system, and you do not want to save any of your data. This will remove your Firefox user profile data, which includes bookmarks, passwords, cookies, preference settings and added extensions.

Removing user profile data

2. Delete all of the following folders if they exist:

Windows 7:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

Note:
%AppData%\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.

-- If you cannot find some of the folder(s), you may have to reconfigure Windows to show hidden files, folders.

3. Reboot and reinstall Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users