Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Combofix 1 time on WinXP, now cannot remove MS Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WinXP-SP3User

WinXP-SP3User

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

I know I will be reprimanded for running combofix without first setting up a topic here on bleepingcomputer.com and getting an expert advisor to walk me through the steps.  It was a mistake to run the program on my own.

In any case, after installing combofix and the MS Recovery Console, running combofix one time, and apparently removing combofix, I find I am unable to remove the Recovery Console.  I have tried to follow Microsoft's directions regarding deleting the cmdcons folder, but items within the folder are un-deletable and, by extension, the folder itself is un-deletable.

If you all can look past my imprudent and improper, unguided use of combofix, and are willing to assist me in trying to remove the Recovery Console, I'd appreciate it.

One other point:  Following the "Please select the operating system to start:" text when I restart the computer, I am presented with 3 choices, as follows:

"Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"

"do not select this [debugger enabled]"

"Microsoft Windows XP Professonal"

Based on limited past experience, I would have expected only the 1st and 3rd listed choices.  I have no idea what the "do not select this [debugger enabled]" choice is about.  (An option during boot up that says don't select this is kind of unsettling/worrisome.)  If you can shed any light on this, I would, again, be grateful.

Thanks in advance for any reply.  And if this message has in any way been wrongly posted, my apologies, and please let me know how to correct the mistake.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

Hi,

i wouldn't recommend removing the recovery console, it is actually a useful tool to have if the OS becomes unbootable. If you however, really want those entries gone, you can edit the boot.ini to remove them.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

I would go to the boot.ini and just delete the non-standard entry line, "do not select this [debugger enabled]".

From what I can see, that should eliminate it.

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022

Various programs may have added that line (Office includes a debugger function) and a debug parameter may have been mistakently set by someone.  In any case, deleting that line will reflect the correct options to boot into the RC or Windows.  Debug options are written for developers and programmers and are of no value that I have discerned...for normal users like myself.

As Myrti said, I would leave the RC boot option.  It's useful and does no harm as a boot option.

Louis

#4 WinXP-SP3User

WinXP-SP3User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

I appreciate the replies from both myrti and hamluis.  More specifically, I acknowledge that you both feel that the recovery console is useful.  However, useful or not, I would like to remove the recovery console, and my primary question was how to do that.  According to the Microsoft Knowledgebase, truly removing the recovery console requires, first and foremost, deleting the cmdcons folder.  (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555032.)  Can anyone provide assistance on how to delete that folder so as to truly remove the recovery console?

Also:  I understand that I can delete entries from the boot.ini file.  However, (1) I don't see that deleting the recovery console line from the boot.ini file will actually remove the recovery console (in other words, I don't see that it will result in deletion of the files for the recovery console, such as the cmdcons folder); and (2) simply deleting the "do not select this" line from the boot.ini file doesn't really explain where that line/entry came from or what it means (shouldn't I be at least a little concerned about any boot up entry labeled "do not select this"?).  So, again (and even as I express appreciation to myrti and hamluis), I would be grateful to anyone who could provide further guidance or illumination on these points.  Thanks.

Edited by WinXP-SP3User, 09 November 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

I've never tried to remove the RC, so I can't offer any advice on such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users