Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chestnut212

chestnut212

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

We have a laptop (specs below) that was running very slowly and now will not boot. Windows attempts to open, then tries to repair itself. After running for hours, a message was displayed that windows could not be repaired, When I clicked on details, the message was that the registry was corrupt (not sure if that was the specific wording).

I went to the Setup menu and changed the boot sequence to boot from the CD drive first, but that didn't work. When I go to the boot menu, the CD drive is not listed. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Gateway laptop NV79
Windows 7 Home Edition
CPU: Intel Core i3 CPU, 2.13 GHz
HDD Model Name:  ST500LM012 (replaced October 2013)

Regards,
Barbara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

Are the hard drive and DVD drive listed in the bios?

#3 chestnut212

chestnut212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Yes, both are, but after moving the CD/DVD drive first in boot order, the laptop does not boot from the Windows Recovery CD.

Regards,
Barbara

#4 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

Either the recovery CD is damaged or you have a bad bios or hardware failure on the motherboard. First thing would be to check another boot disk, if you have another Windows disk available or you could burn something like UBCD. If that doesn't help, try restting the bios by removing the "watch" battery inside the laptop.

#5 chestnut212

chestnut212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I tried two different recovery CDs. I'm very hesitant to try to get to the CMOS battery because on this model, you basically have to disassemble the entire laptop to get to the motherboard. I've never done this before.

Regards,
Barbara

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

Worth a look, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/corrupt-registry-root-cause-in-startup-repair/f77d5355-b8be-41d6-af24-cae994e1768f .

Louis

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I tried two different recovery CDs. I'm very hesitant to try to get to the CMOS battery because on this model, you basically have to disassemble the entire laptop to get to the motherboard. I've never done this before.

You do not have to remove the battery. Most BIOS have option to "load failsafe defaults".

You have a modern computer, I think it can boot from USB disks. You can create a bootable USB disk for Windows 7 recovery -

1. Use any Windows 7 computer to create a Windows 7 Recovery CD.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

2. Use this CD and create an ISO file. http://www.isodisk.com/

3. Use the ISO file to create a bootable USB disk. http://rufus.akeo.ie/

4. Plug in this USB disk and choose boot device by pressing F12.

#8 chestnut212

chestnut212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thank you both, hamluis and Romeo29. I finally feel like I have a place to start when I get home tonight.
Regards,
Barbara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users