Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8-Open Office

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

For a word processing program I use Open Office. Today I tried to open an important document(sons resume)and it opened in MS word pad instead of Open Office. Of course the page was garbled. I tried to re-select Open Office as the default program, but no joy-still would not open in Office. Now the document has the Open office icon but will not open at all. Does anyone know how to correct this problem? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Try using the System Restore.  Pick a restore point prior to the problem.

Once this has been done I would suggest placing a copy of the resume on a removable media, like a CD, DVD, flash drive, external hdd...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

I would do a repair install of Open office, before doing a System Restore.  It is possible that your version of Open Office got screwed up somehow. It also depends on having Java installed, so make sure that you have the latest version of Java on the system.

Now have you tried opening the document up in Google Docs?  If the computer is always connected to the Internet, Google Docs or even Microsoft's free version of Office online, not Office 365 should open the file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users