Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player - says no video codecs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thickdad

Thickdad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

Now it may well have been something I've done when doing a tidy up But :-

My windows Media Player once played dvd's although that's along time ago.

Now when I put a film in I simply get a message

"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed in your computer"

Trouble is it should have them because they are part of the basic XP set up.

I can't remember what version I was using originally, but took a Microsoft update to version 11

hoping that would overwrite my non working version, but no change in the error message.

I can play video from my small camera running .MVI

I don't like the idea of trying to upload codecs from some other source and obviously don't want to reinstall my XP home

with the probable loss of years of information within this small box of tricks !!

I have managed a couple of years without it working, but want to solve the problem & not go out into a cold garage to put DVDs into an old windows 98SE system any more.

Thickdad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

Any disk error related messages in Event Viewer (corresponding to a time a DVD is loaded)? Have you tried a different optical drive in the lappy? May be that the drive has gone belly up?

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

What do you mean during a recent tidy up?

#4 Sadlercomfort

Sadlercomfort

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Can I be honest? Windows Media Player has always been rubbish for codecs. Sometimes a video file might have the same .extension, but contain different audio codecs within the file.. WMP has trouble with this :nono:

I recommend VLC Media Player -   http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

It contains alot of codecs pre-installed in the program, I am yet to find a video format or codec it can't play, and have been using it for 4years. :thumbup2:

It works on windows Xp, all the way to Windows 8, very flexible.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Well...I would simply download/install WMP 11 for any problem related to WMP.  Possible file corruption would be my reasoning.

As for codecs...I don't believe that WMP install reflects codecs for instant DVD play, IIRC.  My solution for that was to install the latest k-Lite codec pack.

Workaround would be to install a different player, such as VLC.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users