Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of connection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

Greetings;  Re: Windows 7 and Vista. We have 2 computers which are hard wired to Cox. One has windows 7 and the other has Vista. We installed a wireless modem (Belk Surf N300) to accommodate a requirement to access books for a Kindle from Amazon. Besides that, it accommodates 3 laptops. Today, (Nov 8) I am using the computer with 7 and my wife is using the one with Vista. I was just reading e-mail and she was playing a game on Gamesville. While she was playing, the screen went white and a note came up saying she lost the connection to the server my unit did not change or lose anything. If we are on the same modem from the carrier (cox) why would she get that message while I got nothing. Anybody? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

There are too many possabilities with the information provided to be certain of any one cause. This could range anywhere from hardware failure on her computer to bandwidth, latency, or even the website she was accessing having a problem (even a small one not noticed by others could temporarily cause the disconnect).  Additionally you cannot rule out virus' or out of date software and drivers.

does this problem occur regularly?

does it occur at the same time? same website?

does it occur only when both of you are connected or even when only she is?

does it only occur on her computer or both of yours?

what process do you need to go through to restore connectivity? Or does it resolve itself after a few seconds/minutes?

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users