Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ci.dll cause windows to unable to boot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HZane

HZane

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hey, not sure if here is right place to post but here goes.

My computer mysteriously failed to boot up yesterday evening after using it during the afternoon. After some fixing done by startup repair from my bootable windows 7 USB drive, it presented an error - ci.dll is missing or corrupt.

Researching the problem on net leads me to enter safe mode with cmd but still the same error. And also I tried disabling driver signature enforcement, still leading to the same error. I also boot up the windows 7 USB and tried sfc scanning via command prompt, it presented with yet another error - resource protection could not start.

Now, at my wits end, I'm facing with either installing a new window 7, not knowing whether data will be lost, or seek online help, which may be slower but effective. So here I am online seeking professional help to save my data, I hope professionals here can enlighten me and guide me to repair my computer, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

The follow instruction are for a Windows 7 Repair Installation, but will take you to the System Recovery Options where you can access the Command option.  The instructions also provide you with a link to a website where you can download a ISO image which can be burned to a disc to create a bootable installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Command Prompt link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

Type sfc /scannow in the elevated command prompt, then press Enter.

Edited by dc3, 08 November 2013 - 10:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 HZane

HZane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

Don't know if you have read my post, but I did mentioned running sfc and getting an error called resource protection could not start. But to make sure, I entered sfc /scannow and got the error 'there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again.'. I have this error before. So what should I do now? I also did "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=*:\ /offwindir=*:\windows" before, the * being the drive that contains my OS. please advise.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Yes I did read your post, that's why I suggested booting from the installation disc to initiate the command prompt and run the sfc /scannow.

Alternatively, you could run the Startup Repair from the disc to see if this resolves the issue.  Use the instructions above, but rather than click on Command Prompt, click on Startup Repair and follow the instructions below.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automaticially run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 HZane

HZane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm having no luck with startup repair too, it gave me "windows cannot repair this computer automatically". I took a look at the diagnosis and repair details, it told me root cause found 'registry is corrupt', the registry is most likely ci.dll

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Have you used a registry cleaner?

If yes, which one?

#7 HZane

HZane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

This is a DIY computer. I think I may have used ccleaner before, but that a long time ago. Could my DLL problem be related to maybe a windows update or virus?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

With the registry error message it is most likely just what it is telling you, a corrupt registry file.

I was half hoping that you had used Ccleaner to clean the registry, if this had been the culprit there would have been the possibility that Ccleaner backed up the registry prior to cleaning it.

We are running out of options, since you cannot boot into either normal or safe mode our options are very limited.  We have tried what we can in the command prompt and startup repair.

I'm afraid you may have to do a clean installation of the operating system.  I don't suppose you had the forethought to place the operating system on a separate partition on the hdd?

#9 HZane

HZane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

I have 2 partition a c drive and a D drive on the same hdd if that what you're asking. So do you mean that if I reinstall window 7 on my C drive, the data on the other drive D will be intact even though it belong to the same HDD?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

If the C: drive partition only has data pertaining to Windows yes.

#11 HZane

HZane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Ok thanks, my OS is in the C drive while the bulk of my personal data is on the D drive. I think I shall reinstall window 7 now.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Let us know how it works out.

#13 HZane

HZane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hey I have installed window 7 although encountering a few problems on the way, I was stuck on "completing installation", but after searching online, I manage to solve the problem by running explorer.exe using command prompt. After restarting, encountered yet another problem, it told me that it needed to restart to complete installation, which ended in loops as it keep telling me to restart without completing installation.

After another search on the internet, I managed to change a certain registry value from 1 to 3 I think. Using my computer now turns out be quite laggy, probably from all the problems I faced. I also notice that my C drive partition which have total of 195gb, have 53.5gb left while all the data's inside add up to 43.5gb when I look at the properties. This results in a total of 98gb of data missing that perhaps may come from my previous windows but I couldn't find the location for it. I have tried enabling hidden folder, however I still can't find the missing 98gb of data.

Edited by HZane, 09 November 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Did you do a custom installation or a upgrade?

#15 HZane

HZane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

I did a custom installation, there is about 98gb of data used up on my C drive that I could not find on the drive, any help in finding them would be appreciated, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users