Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 topper8281

topper8281

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:55 AM

Hey guys, I've been having a problem since this morning. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 a little over a week ago and everything was working smoothly. Then all of a sudden I can't boot into the OS - I get a BSOD that says "System Thread Exception Not Handled. (ataport.sys)". It keeps trying to repair the boot but it doesn't work. Safe mode with networking does work fine however. I'm not sure if it's a virus problem or not but I figured I'd post here since I couldn't get DDS to work on 8.1 anyway. I searched for other people who had the same problem but didn't find much. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 patrick3483

patrick3483

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hello :D If you suspect a virus, run malwarebytes.

WHat have you installed before this started? (e.g: An update, a program, a torrent)

Hope this helps,

Patrick.

Edited by patrick3483, 08 November 2013 - 05:22 AM.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 topper8281

topper8281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

The quick scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode finds nothing. I haven't done the full scan since having this problem but I will when I get a chance. I did install some programs the day this happened (ActiveISOburner, libreoffice), I uninstalled ActiveISO burner but couldn't get the other one to uninstall. I haven't updated anything else since moving to 8.1.

As for the make/model of the computer, it's a computer that a friend and I built together. I couldn't get hw64 to work in 8.1 safe mode, but I will attach my computer specs log compiled in Windows 7 (dual booting on two different drives) to this post.

Attached Files

#5 patrick3483

patrick3483

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

Well, perform the full scan. how did you install libreoffice?? Was is from a trustworthy site? Did the webpage look trust worthy? Also, upload libreoffice to virustotal.com and see what it says. Also, have you tried system restore?

Hope this helps, 

Patrick.

#6 topper8281

topper8281
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

I just decided to reinstall Windows 8 entirely. Hopefully won't happen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users