Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot up anymore.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 captainsiberia

captainsiberia

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:41 AM

Well, I now have an unbootable computer. I don't know what's wrong. When it tries to boot, it gets a BSOD, and it goes by too fast for me to possibly read it. I heard you can change this option by getting into a special menu with F8, but F8 doesn't do anything for me. I heave the option of loading Startup Repair, too, but its SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW! There's no way this can be right! (Maybe I need to put the harddrive on an eternal reader and grab the dumps.)

Prior to this, the OS was laggy. I was playing music with Winamp, and it k.....ept pausing. Prior to that, I had a mess where all the programs became unresponsive and I had to force a reboot. Now, this may be unrelated, but prior to all of this, I had not one but two harddrives start to fail. One of them did fail. Now, I'm being good as far as I know. I have a surge protector on this stuff. Is there a surge coming from within? Is it time for a new motherboard, and is that the only thing that will save me? Am I smarter than I look, or not?

I'm on a budget. I really don't want to have to replace everything if I can avoid it.

I'm running WIndows 7 on a Gigabyte H55M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jamiep87

jamiep87

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

I would run hardware diagnostics first to check for a failing  hard drive. Most computers have built in tests that can be accessed by pressing a key when the manufacture splash screen appears. 

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Hi

Which is the brand of your hard drive ? . Do you have the Windows installation DVD ?.

#4 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

I would run hardware diagnostics first to check for a failing  hard drive. Most computers have built in tests that can be accessed by pressing a key when the manufacture splash screen appears. 

But this hard drive was replaced only a few months ago.

Hi

Which is the brand of your hard drive ? . Do you have the Windows installation DVD ?.

Seagate Barracuda.

#5 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

Update: After the repair routine, it boots. But I'm not sure it will stay fixed. I think maybe I should grab a minidump for you guys. Where is it stored?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

Hi

Even though the drive is brand new, it can became faulty. I would do a drive health test for a policy. What i recommend is running a "Long generic test" with "Seatools".

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

If it is a pass, perform a "check disk" to fix NTFS corruption and "System File Checker" to fix damaged OS files.

"Check disk" gude : http://www.w7forums.com/threads/how-to-use-chkdsk-check-disk.448/

"SFC" guide : http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Let us check how the system works after the maintenance.

#7 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Ok, it's doing it again. Now I can read the blue screen. It says "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE". And one time when it tried to load the operating system, it told me "A disk read error occurred." Now what the hell is that? Did Seagate send me a defective drive, or is something inside my computer killing harddrives?

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hi

I would first replace the SATA data cable as it can cause this type of errors. Then run the DOS bootable version of Seagate Seatools.

Seatool For DOS : http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

How to burn disc images : http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201431en

You should run the "Long test" to do a full surface scan.

seatools-2.png 

#9 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:10 AM

THE PLOT THICKENS!

Ok, I figured, "I'll install an OS on my other harddrive so I can work on the problem from there." Guess what! Wouldn't boot! And I tried installing this OS several times. It would not work. It would get stuck at the "Loading operating system" screen. So there was more here than met the eye. So I researched that problem, and when people have it, the thing to do is...

FLASH! O-OH! He'll save every one of us!

So I flashed the BIOS on my motherboard. Now that secondary OS boots like a charm! I am currently running chkdsk /v /r on the primary harddrive just to be sure, but when that's done, I may be back in business! Stay tuned!

#10 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

Ok! So, things are working a lot better now! I'm booting like normal. I can't say for sure that it's going to stay fixed, but if you don't hear from me in a week, consider it solved. It was the butler all along!

#11 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

Well, I'm not out of the woods yet. I'm starting to think there may be real harddrive problems, against all odds. I'm running Seagate's Long Generic test now. Here's the thing, though. I ran Seagate's Long Generic on the last drive that was having problems. The drive passed the test. And a week or so later, I got the click of death. (I'm still hoping that maybe, one day, I'll be able to transfer the platters and resurrect it. What have I got to lose except the price of a sacrifice drive?)

I didn't get a blue screen, but I had a very slow startup. And then CheckDisk started, and it was going SLOW. Now, last night, things were going fine again. But tonight, I found things slowing down again. I'd be using programs, and they'd hang for a long time before responding. I finally had to force a shutdown. Now I'm on my second harddrive running Seatools. I'll see what happens. But I don't like the way things are acting. Guys, based on your expert opinions, am I going to need to have Seagate replace this drive that I only got a few months ago? Does that sound like a likelihood? It was a replacement drive for a previous drive that failed, after all; maybe it's a sub-standard refurb. Or can this be fixed through software means: bios flash, chkdsk, anything like that?

Just a moment! It failed the Long Generic! Failed it nice and quick, too! What is this garbage? They send me a replacement drive, and it goes bad that fast? What is causing this? Is some component in my computer damaging the harddrives?

#12 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

Well, guys, the problems started again. And the harddrive failed the Long Generic test. What is this crap? Was it just a substandard refurb that they sent me? Is something in my computer damaging my harddrives?

#13 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

Well, guys, the problems started again. And the harddrive failed the Long Generic test. What is this crap? Was it just a substandard refurb that they sent me? Is something in my computer damaging my harddrives?

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hi

I suspect "Seagate" send you a repaired/ refurbished drive as replacement. That is what they usually do. 

BTW, improper shutdown or sudden power failure can damage a hard drive and the data stored on it.

#15 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:30 AM

Seagate ALWAYS sends refurbs as warranty replacements. The labels have a green band around them, and state "Certified Repaired HDD" on top, just under the Seagate Logo. I have several 500s and none of them have failed after a couple of years of intermittent use. The warranty on them continues the original drive warranty. No do overs. That's not to say yours didn't fail just that I haven't lost one.
If you did lose one, send it back again. They'll replace it again, assuming the original warranty hasn't ended.

In the mean time, use the second drive, I guess. That one still works, right?

Edited by davnel, 13 November 2013 - 03:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users