Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive stops responding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

symptoms:
system installs and boots fine, everything is fine, except i get these random hangs.. no matter what i've been doing, even if no programs are running, my hdd led shows no activity, hdd does nothing, and though the system doesn't actually freeze up, i can do whatever i want, as long as that particular action doesn't require hdd activity. i can move the cursor, type, bring up start menu, even work with open applications: right until it wants to read or write from/to the hdd. then i get the busy cursor, and the waiting begins.. AND DOES NOT STOP UNTIL I DO A COLD BOOT LOSING EVERYTHING IN ALL OPEN PROGRAMS!!!!!!!!!! WHAT IS GOING WRONG???? CHKDSK FINDS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY HARD DRIVE!!!!!!

ALL FOUR OF MY HDDs EXPERIENCE THIS AT ONCE AT THE SAME EXACT TIME MY OS HDD AND THREE EXTERNAL DRIVES ALL AT THE SAME EXACT TIME!!!!!!!

Edited by Moltres Rider, 08 November 2013 - 12:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 voodoochildbc

voodoochildbc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

Sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere or one of the drives is failing. Chkdsk isn't going to find problems like catastrophic power issues; it only examines the file structure and surface of the hard drive.

Your event log could help pinpoint which one is causing the issue. Download/run MiniToolBox (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/), and check off the following:

- List last 10 event viewer errors

- List Devices (All)

- List Users, Partitions, and Memory Size

Then post the result here.

Edited by voodoochildbc, 08 November 2013 - 12:36 AM.

#3 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere or one of the drives is failing. Chkdsk isn't going to find problems like catastrophic power issues; it only examines the file structure and surface of the hard drive.

Your event log could help pinpoint which one is causing the issue. Download/run MiniToolBox (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/), and check off the following:

- List last 10 event viewer errors

- List Devices (All)

- List Users, Partitions, and Memory Size

Then post the result here.

ok I am downloading: NOTE: I shook the laptop a little and voila hard drive works without cold boot

#4 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

Error: (11/07/2013 07:00:16 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Museum HTTP Interface service failed to start due to the following error:
%%2

Error: (11/07/2013 06:45:45 PM) (Source: Disk) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Error: (11/06/2013 00:12:06 PM) (Source: VDS Basic Provider) (User: )
Description: Unexpected failure. Error code: 490@01010004

Error: (11/06/2013 00:12:06 PM) (Source: VDS Basic Provider) (User: )
Description: Unexpected failure. Error code: 490@01010004

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================

CodeIntegrity Errors:
===================================
  Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:51.498
  Description: Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\TeamViewer\Version8\tv_w32.dll because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:49.025
  Description: Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\PowerMenu\PowerMenuHook.dll because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:46.904
  Description: Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\TeamViewer\Version8\tv_w32.dll because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:45.083
  Description: Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\PowerMenu\PowerMenuHook.dll because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:43.794

Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:42.263

Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:41.014

Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:39.269

Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:37.352

Date: 2013-05-09 10:35:35.357

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 74%
Total physical RAM: 3574.04 MB
Available physical RAM: 926.52 MB
Total Pagefile: 7146.38 MB
Available Pagefile: 4033.02 MB
Total Virtual: 2047.88 MB
Available Virtual: 1922.87 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: (OS) (Fixed) (Total:136.74 GB) (Free:19.12 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (other) (Fixed) (Total:9.77 GB) (Free:9.24 GB) NTFS
4 Drive f: (stuff) (Fixed) (Total:111.79 GB) (Free:62.68 GB) NTFS
5 Drive g: (NDSARUSA_10) (CDROM) (Total:0.01 GB) (Free:0 GB) CDFS
8 Drive o: (WD SmartWare) (CDROM) (Total:0.43 GB) (Free:0 GB) UDF
9 Drive p: (My Book) (Fixed) (Total:1862.36 GB) (Free:709.7 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\JUSTINRPGSPC

Administrator            ASPNET                   Guest                    
Justin RPG               

**** End of log ****

#5 voodoochildbc

voodoochildbc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Looks like your issue is probably coming from:

Error: (11/07/2013 06:45:45 PM) (Source: Disk) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Under Storage, click Disk Management.

Whichever Hard Drive shows up as "Disk 2" is likely your problem device.

Make sure the connections are good to this drive. If that doesn't fix it and Disk 2 is not the C Drive, unhook it and see if the problem goes away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users