Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 410 upgrade? New build?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chaostoday

chaostoday

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

Good day to all experts. I am a novice at best and have done some hardware work and assisted new builds but now have questions and a budget for this project. I need to get more performance out of my only desktop. I have two laptops that are better performers but need this desktop to do browsing, photo editing and business software. I run adobe CS4 master suite, do shipping, printing, video editing and run quickbooks from this pc.

Dell DXP061
Pentium D 2.8ghz
1022 MB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE
I have two good optical drives and 2- 250gb HDD's

I know the power supply is low quality and must be replaced.
Don't know how to tell if I have a P965 motherboard or not. How do I tell?
I know I need more more RAM. Thought I had more. Think I made a mistake with the pairs.
If I have the P965 can I go quad core QX6800?
I'm not real comfortable with processor upgrades but have others to assist and hope to have some of you to watch my back.
Video card. I have no clue. Need your help.

Can all of this be done on a decent (less than $500) budget? I am not a gamer. I don't need the best graphics but know I need better than what I have now. Can't even watch my Blu rays on this even though I have the drive.

Am I better off taking my HDD's, optical, keyboard and mouse and putting them in a new tower with a strong power supply and new motherboard and processor? Is that more cost effective? I know that will allow me more upgrades to new technology in the future.

Is there an advantage to buying a kit and using these or maybe just buying a newer used system and upgrade that?

I really need some great professional advice. You folks are my guides and I trust your educated advice.

Thanks for all you do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NmNFyOHlQsqBezpNEKTSDSn

These are my actual system specs. Looks like I do have the P965 Motherboard....

Thanks again for looking at my post

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Given the age of the PC, you should seriously consider saving your cash and buying/building a new PC.  That motherboard is custom for Dell, a 0WG855, and may have a custom BIOS so the only way to determine CPU compatibility would be to call Dell or contact someone with that exact board and see what they have done.

What you can do, is replace the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU while reusing your old case, optical drive, and hard drive.  This would be more cost effective in the long run.  You will have to get a new copy of Windows to comply with the license.

If your case is a standard ATX, you can use it, otherwise, you can get a cheap case like the Antec Three Hundred.

Motherboard:  MSI FM2-A85XMA-E35 FM2 Trinity AMD A85X - This is a micro-ATX motherboard that takes AMD's FM2 CPU's and APU's.  $74

CPU:  AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) - This is one of AMD's top-of-the-line APU's and combines a decent CPU with a good GPU.  It won't offer the same level of performance of an FX processor, nor will the GPU be super high-end for gaming, but it should be more than adequate for a non-gamer.  $139

RAM:  AMD Radeon Performance Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 - This should be enough memory.  $79

PSU:  CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W - This is more than enough power for this computer, and should do nicely if you later decide to get an add-in graphics card.  $54

OS:  Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM - You need this to comply with the license in that you cannot reuse your copy of XP.  $99

Total:  $449 (Without the case)

3939.png

#4 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Given the age of the PC, you should seriously consider saving your cash and buying/building a new PC.  That motherboard is custom for Dell, a 0WG855, and may have a custom BIOS so the only way to determine CPU compatibility would be to call Dell or contact someone with that exact board and see what they have done.

What you can do, is replace the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU while reusing your old case, optical drive, and hard drive.  This would be more cost effective in the long run.  You will have to get a new copy of Windows to comply with the license.

If your case is a standard ATX, you can use it, otherwise, you can get a cheap case like the Antec Three Hundred.

Motherboard:  MSI FM2-A85XMA-E35 FM2 Trinity AMD A85X - This is a micro-ATX motherboard that takes AMD's FM2 CPU's and APU's.  $74

CPU:  AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) - This is one of AMD's top-of-the-line APU's and combines a decent CPU with a good GPU.  It won't offer the same level of performance of an FX processor, nor will the GPU be super high-end for gaming, but it should be more than adequate for a non-gamer.  $139

RAM:  AMD Radeon Performance Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 - This should be enough memory.  $79

PSU:  CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W - This is more than enough power for this computer, and should do nicely if you later decide to get an add-in graphics card.  $54

OS:  Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM - You need this to comply with the license in that you cannot reuse your copy of XP.  $99

Total:  $449 (Without the case)

Wow! awesome response!!

Thank you so much.

Just some questions

1. I assume the new motherboard has an integrated graphics card. Is it going to be good enough to watch Blu Ray and edit RAW images?

2. I love to shop eBay. Would buying any of these items be cheaper there? Would there be any other components or options you would recommend?

3. I considered buying 4GB of RAM, a new Graphics card and a PSU that would fit the case from eBay. Is that a bad idea? I was originally hoping to just speed the system up so it didn't drag so much. I know it uses all the memory now and does get low on VM occasionally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370816525214?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

4. I don't know anything about Win 8. My other systems run Win 7. I know this may cause a debate but is it ok and wise just to stick with what I know and continue running Win 7?

5. Are upgrade kits from places like TigerDirect a good or bad idea for the money? I know they limit your options and you can't mix and match.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=7906561&sku=B69-0841&SRCCODE=WEM3842BY&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM3842-_-tigeremail3842&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM3842&cm_lm=gaoshearer@hotmail.com

6. I have never run an AMD CPU. Always been an Intel man. I noticed the mother board was an AMD. Any advantages/ disadvantages? I know that may be a long debate as well.....

Thanks again for all you do. I couldn't even consider this without all the advice.

#5 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

Wow! awesome response!!
Thank you so much.
Just some questions
1. I assume the new motherboard has an integrated graphics card. Is it going to be good enough to watch Blu Ray and edit RAW images?
2. I love to shop eBay. Would buying any of these items be cheaper there? Would there be any other components or options you would recommend?
3. I considered buying 4GB of RAM, a new Graphics card and a PSU that would fit the case from eBay. Is that a bad idea? I was originally hoping to just speed the system up so it didn't drag so much. I know it uses all the memory now and does get low on VM occasionally.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370816525214?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
4. I don't know anything about Win 8. My other systems run Win 7. I know this may cause a debate but is it ok and wise just to stick with what I know and continue running Win 7?
5. Are upgrade kits from places like TigerDirect a good or bad idea for the money? I know they limit your options and you can't mix and match.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=7906561&sku=B69-0841&SRCCODE=WEM3842BY&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM3842-_-tigeremail3842&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM3842&cm_lm=gaoshearer@hotmail.com
6. I have never run an AMD CPU. Always been an Intel man. I noticed the mother board was an AMD. Any advantages/ disadvantages? I know that may be a long debate as well.....

Thanks again for all you do. I couldn't even consider this without all the advice.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

1.  The motherboard does not have an integrated GPU, the GPU internals are in the CPU itself.  All the motherboard does is pass along the information to the display ports on the back of the PC.

2.  Don't do eBay, you have no guarantees of authenticity and quality plus returning DOA items is a major pain.  I would use Newegg, TigerDirect, NCIX, or Amazon.

3.  Again, don't do eBay.  Given the low cost of RAM nowadays, go for 8GB.

4.  Yes, you can buy a copy of WIndows 7 and use that.  However, Windows 8's desktop mode is nearly identical to Windows 7 and there are "under-the-hood" improvements Windows 8 has that 7 does not have.  Don't be put off by the tiled interfact in 8 and know you can easily use the desktop you are so familiar with.

5.  Upgrade kits are a bit hit or miss.  Sometimes they use fantastic hardware, other times they do not.  That kit you linked to does not, the motherboard is ancient and not ideal for an FX CPU (Which you should always use an AMD 900-based motherboard with to unlock all features), plus it has an old GPU bundled in.

6.  AMD and Intel do the same things and have identical software compatibility.  AMD tends to be less powerful, but more value focused.  The motherboard uses an AMD chipset which allows for better compatibility with AMD CPU's.  Previously, nVidia made chipsets, but have moved away from doing that.  Now, Intel and AMD make their own.

3939.png

#7 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thank you again for the great advice. I will take every word of it. "Search" has definitely been my friend lately. This weekend my budget unfortunately got reduced for the upgrade. I now only have around $300-350 for this now..
The PC here in question has become very slow and unresponsive. It's in pretty good shape as far as malware and viruses. It's running a few too many processes which is draining what little memory it has fast. I'm in need of this to do the scanning, photo editing, printing and business software mentioned above. It has become frustrating so I have been looking at band-aids versus a new system.
I'm convinced now that the answer is build new with some of my parts.
Do you think I can still build one with the new budget?
I'm going to keep the HDD's, optical, keyboard, mouse and monitor.
I do feel a new case that you recommended will be necessary as this one I believe is not ATX. I also like the better cooling options of a new ATX case.
Unfortunately that increases my cost.

Thanks again.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

We could probably get the price to $400 if your power supply is of quality, follows the normal ATX standard, and sufficient at about 400W.  You could lower the RAM quality to Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866.  You don't want to go too slow with RAM on APU's as they are sensitive to RAM speeds.  I wouldn't lower the APU as you will be needing a faster one sooner and most of the A10 APU's are roughly the same price, plus or minus $10.

3939.png

#9 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

We could probably get the price to $400 if your power supply is of quality, follows the normal ATX standard, and sufficient at about 400W.  You could lower the RAM quality to Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866.  You don't want to go too slow with RAM on APU's as they are sensitive to RAM speeds.  I wouldn't lower the APU as you will be needing a faster one sooner and most of the A10 APU's are roughly the same price, plus or minus $10.

Bought the components. Just made 2 small changes. Went with a different ATX case that's compatible with the MSI MB(personal choice) and went with the CX600. Not the "M". Got a better deal on the higher wattage.
Bought the team Vulcan 8GB memory and the motherboard and processor you recommended. I'm super excited about its arrival and a little unsure I can put this all together myself. Mainly concerned about the processor install on the MB. I have never done that by myself. I'm told there is a process involving the heat sink.
Any other advice always appreciated and obviously taken seriously. I don't think I've ever bought a computer setup based off just one recommendation but I'm sure I will very happy. Thanks again!!!!

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Since you already have a Dell, unless you fell the need to build, why not get another one?  The Dell 660s are well within your price range for upgrade.

#11 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Thanks RKilroy. I guess I just want the thrill of the build this time. I built one a few years back with a friend and was never disappointed. I'm hoping to do the same this time but do it all myself with some help and guidance from experts like you. I don't want to the "Dell" thing anymore. I'm always looking for projects and hobbies to keep me going and don't want a computer that u just have to take out the box and plug in. Does that sound stupid?
I know I'm a novice but I've had decent success with computers and software and I love finding my answers on the forums and then applying what I've learned. I think that's what the forums are all about.
Thanks again.

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

I only point it out as an option.  You can't build for the price you can buy, but you have a lot more options with a custom machine.  I personally prefer to build.  I find that a built machine seems to last longer, if only because you can do upgrades along the way.

#13 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Does the CPU on the list above come with a CPU cooler or heat sink? Is this required?
If not, do I need any type of thermal gel for the install on the motherboard? Found my answer. Thank you. It had a heat sink/ fan included

Edited by chaostoday, 25 November 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Does the CPU on the list above come with a CPU cooler or heat sink? Is this required?
If not, do I need any type of thermal gel for the install on the motherboard? Found my answer. Thank you. It had a heat sink/ fan included

The CPU does include a stock cooler with pre-applied thermal paste.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users