Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google now makes you connect G+ to Youtube to comment.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

So recently Google updated YouTube so that you must connect your Google+ account to your YouTube account to be able to comment. What are you thoughts on this? Personally I hate it and I think Google just loves screwing the YouTubers over.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

That's just weird.

And wait! there's more!!...for some reason, apparently it is because YouTube wants to 'fix' bad comments? (Verge article here)

"To YouTube, good comments are ones that come from the video's creator, "popular personalities," and your friends on Google+"

Really? 

@Allen-- I see your avi and new siggie!! :) 

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

This pretty much says it all. Thank You Reddit

9rgDiLm.gif

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

just another step in the pwning of the world... now your youtube preferences/likes may be sold as data also.

#5 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Google wants "Google+ to continue being recognized as a growing major player in the social media arena." As long as the user count keeps going up, this will look to be like the truth. I personally, refuse to use it now since they have totally screwed up the YouTube experience.

So what now ... if some one comments on a video or sends a YouTube message... in order to see the comments we have to log into our dang Google+ account? This completely sux. I agree with the OP, Hate It

#6 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hi Enriqe,

It takes little effort to browse the net to discover that there are a lot of very angry YouTubers  out there :angry:  Not happy with Google!

I posted my very first (and probably last) video on YouTube recently. However, I already had a Gmail account and although I didn't understand just what Google+ was supposed to be about I went along with the "One account. All of Google" set-up. Presumably Google was upgrading and streamlining the whole product to brighten up our digital lives - right? Wrong!  

My impression is that Google assumes everyone has advanced computer skills. Gmail is difficult to navigate. I don't want to 'invite' xxemailpal to 'Circles' and I resent xxemailpal's name and image popping up with a message from Google telling me that I might know xxemailpal and asking me to join him up to Google+ Oh well, at least Google are open about the fact they pry into who my email pals are - but worse - they suggest linking up with people I don't know!

Obviously I am on a big learning curve as far as anything computer goes so I persevered. I opened Google Drive and that's where I discovered that I was far better off scrapping Google and staying with MS SkyDrive for sharing large files, photos, small videos with family and friends. GD is just too complicated.

I logged into my Gmail account today to find 'personal messages' contained 'YouTube videos I might like'. No thanks but  just because I am not interested in social networking and only manage to do things one at a time, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Google. I am sure there are many people who think Google+ is just fantastic! ? Well ?? :blink:

#7 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

What is the morality of setting up a few dozen fake Google+ accounts?
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#8 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

I actually set up a totally uh not quite me google a/c because I forget what I needed the darn thing for and I was not going to have them post me all over the net...and I did not feel the least bit guilty over it...and I don't think that I ever used it but I guess it is there. I think when some of these sites get a bit too big for their britches they want to rule the world...andf forget the net was originally the "little" people with their simple 'puter's, modems, and dial-up who just talked and exchanged ideas for free with no strings attached...

#9 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hello Violetrose,

I agree with you on everything, and yeah the g-mail is a bit to get used to. Like you said, who wants a mail account where the company providing the e-mail account, spams the crap out of you. To prevent the spam you have to go into your google+ settings and un-check the ridiculous amount of alerts. I too have Hotmail, I've had since 2006, and I do pay the $19 a year for the little bit extra. I think it is much better than g-mail.

To your last comment, I'm guessing Google figures after a few years, people will forget how they forced everyone with any type of google service account to use google+ and new users won't know any better. As far as the folks that I know, none of them really wants a Facebook II account.

I had a YouTube account from 2008, and when Google first did the switch over to Google+ I fell for the signup thing. It said you could switch back anytime, that turned out not to be true, and I didn't know it would change my YouTube name. At any rate I canceled that account, lost a ton of views and started over. I'm betting by 2020, the internet will be called Google-net. 

#10 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Gmail is my throw-away account. You know, when you install some software, and they want you to give them an email adress. I wonder what it looks like, I haven't checked in months.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#11 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

@bezulkov…I thought your question was so thought-provoking and made me think about a lot of different things.  

First is definition of 'morality':

Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.  Synonyms: ethics, rights and wrongs, ethicality.

This is long but would like to weigh in on the question of 'morality' in relation to both creating multiple fake accounts (google or otherwise) and the utube/google+ comments controversy. With the definition in mind of right and wrong, I will just jump in--

Regarding utube, for utube to redo the comments and only show me comments from my so-called circle or move the bad comments to the bottom, or even remove other comments is not okay with me. I think that is ‘wrong.’ Do they not give me credit to be able to weed through or ignore comments on a video which may be objectionable to one but laughable to another? What about comments that are intended to be sarcastic or use irony to make a point? I guess maybe there are many people who are purely concrete in their thinking and maybe not able to discern irony or this kind of humor, but that does not mean the comments should be hidden, moved or eliminated based on what utube or google thinks. 

I don’t need them thinking for me. Let the comments stay as written, leave the internet alone so people can use it as they wish (professionally, for teaching, to help, or just as one big giant playground). For utube and google to choose which comments to display to me is offensive, personally, and this I think is ‘wrong.’  

Secondly, I know the question may have been rhetorical, but it made me wonder about it--Is it moral to create multiple accounts or fake accounts? I think so, yes…for many reasons and would include personal privacy. I think it is okay and 'right' to create multiple or fake accounts anywhere on the Internet. 

Regarding violetrose’s comment about being offended by google suggesting things to her, I SO agree. That is 'wrong.' I am not only weary of it and the intrusion, but it makes me realize that I am being suggested to other complete strangers.

In my opinion, that behavior and profiling people based on their searches or cookies or whatever is also ‘wrong’ for google (or LinkedIn or Facebook or anything), so I think it is okay to create accounts that are still me but not with my real name. 

Thank you, social networking, but I am perfectly capable of finding links, followers, friends, and connections on my own and don't wish for anyone to track my cookies or searches and/or make suggestions to me. I have a problem with them tracking which sites I visit just because I may be interested in something that is none of their business and which they may take and use my name to send out to perfect strangers or collect that data and use it against me someday (as in the case of very real discrimination against innocent people who simply bought a book online article posted by quietman7 in the Privacy & Security thread here on BC link to article here ). Seriously...unbelievable article. 

My point is this, "Hey, stop following me around, please. It’s creeping me out." 

Then I start to think and question how really real is the internet? What I mean is it seems to me that many people who use the Internet, and social media in particular, tend to be much more lax online and do and say things on the web they would not otherwise do in real life. 

So, would I be part of or proudly follow along with the "I'm going to share everything single thought and moment of my life every day, and I now proudly have 375,9470 tweets and 989 followers just in the last year?" Yeah, no…

Here are a few quotes that I think most apply: 

“Social conventions don't make for morality. It is morality that judges social conventions.” ~Socrates in his conversation with Euthyphro

And to borrow one from Animal’s signature that also fits: 

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life. ~Andrew Brown

ps. I really enjoy reading everyone's signatures here, they're really awesome. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users