Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Issue Number 2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:38 PM

This morning with the help of BC board members I solved my hard disk capacity issue.

Now for disk problem number 2. According to a run on PCPitstop, my C drive has usually low performance.

My PC is extremely slow. Cleaning up the drive helped a bit

The uncached speed of drive C is 11 MB per second. The standard for a similar PCs is 45 MB per second.

The drive has been defraged.

Any suggestion on how to improve disk performance ?

Thanks

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:18 PM

I think here we are going to have to know some information on your system, like the name and model number of your system, hard drive and whether you are using NTFS for your hard drive. There are several but the most common are Fat32 and NTFS you can find this out in My Computer and set it to details. What defrager did you use? What is the capacity and free space on the drive?

Also there is a program that is very helpful finding problems with capacity of drives it is callled Treesize and can be found at:

You might want to download (free) TreeSize, a small utility which shows you the HD space used by each folder to determine where the problem lies

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

Which PC scan did you use to determine the performance?
Can you determine what kind of disk drive (model and number) you have?
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 01 May 2006 - 02:06 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ramsey76

ramsey76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:10 AM

My PC was/is running slow. I used PCPITSTOP for help. Two problems: drive near capacity and low drive performance. Based on help I recieved yesterday on this board I used a tree program. I deleted 100 GB of log files.

I re ram my diskminder program to defrag and I am now using 10 % of my hard drive.

I re ran PCpitstop and the disk speed improved from 8 MB/sec to 16 MB/sec. The benchmark is 45 MB/sec.

The PC still runs slow.

My PC is a Compaq with an AMD 3300 processor

The drive is Maxtor 6B200P0 using NTFS.

I have 384k of RAM .

Thanks for the help

#5 WereBo

WereBo

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:46 AM

Allo Ramsey :thumbsup:
Another source of freespace grabbing is your browser cache...

If you use IE, go to 'Internet Options on the Control Panel and in the centre of the dialogue box is an area marked "Temporary Imternet Files', click the 'Delete Files' button. To create even more space, tick the offline content box that appears on the confirmation box that appears...

If you use Mozilla, SeaMonkey or Netscape (not sure about Firefox location), it's under the Edit menu - Preferences - Advanced - Cache - Clear cache...

That should free up a lot more space...

Also, check in the Device Manager and make sure the hard drive(s) are set to DMA rather than PIO, the wrong setting there will drastically reduce your HDD performance...

An excellent little utility called 'EasyCleaner' from ToniArts will help you find and delete all the Unnecessary files that accumulate in odd places on your drive, it will also really clean out the rubbish and junk from your Registry as well...

:flowers:

Posted Image

Humus hic parumper venatus of militis

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:16 AM

You have treesize. Why not run treesize again and see where you have the problem? Let us know what you find.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:09 AM

Also there is something else you could try. At the beguinuing of the part of the forum the area called Pinned: Slow Computer?
Use this troubleshooting checklist

You could go thru and try the steps in here. I also call it disk maintenance and it does take some time (it always does) but the outcome will be worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users