Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got some water in my keyboard, Asus K601J now only see Bios screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sunshine3

Sunshine3

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Please Help, I am disabled and need my computer. Got some water on my laptop keyboard (small amount) while running. the sound started to frizzle, I could not use the pointer so i held down  the on/off button to turn off, let dry out for a day, when i turned it back on i get the blue bios screen and the arrows don't work.

*is there anything i can do.

Also, i would like to learn computer tech/support, have been checking online for course, all the programs have very bad reviews. anybody know a good program. There are only two places to repair computers in town and both charge quite a bit and are not always any good. town of 200,000, you would think would have more repair places.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

sounds like it is pretty much dead dead. most likely the only way to repair is replace the keyboard and maybe just maybe itll work with just that, but more likely you will need a new hard drive and motherboard (not typically worth it)

Sorry to say it.

#3 Sunshine3

Sunshine3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

okay so the system is back up and only the keyboard is not fully functional. about 1/3 works, so i guess i can look for videos to replace the keyboard. motherboard seems good, system is good, hard drive all good. soooo, must have needed more drying out, unless the keyboard is indicative of some other deeper problem.

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

Please Help, I am disabled and need my computer. Got some water on my laptop keyboard (small amount) while running. the sound started to frizzle, I could not use the pointer so i held down  the on/off button to turn off, let dry out for a day, when i turned it back on i get the blue bios screen and the arrows don't work.

*is there anything i can do.

Also, i would like to learn computer tech/support, have been checking online for course, all the programs have very bad reviews. anybody know a good program. There are only two places to repair computers in town and both charge quite a bit and are not always any good. town of 200,000, you would think would have more repair places.

I'm glad the system seems to be functional apart from some keyboard issues. Usually, replacing a keyboard is fairly straightforward, even if some manufacturers make it harder than it should be. The service manuals for many brands can be found on their support sites.

Personally, I doubt that I'd waste much time getting involved in hardware service. As computer prices fall, the cost of service for most any significant problem comes closer to the cost of a replacement computer. Network services, some knowledge about data recovery, malware removal and computer security are still useful skills. 

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

If you are willing to do the work yourself, keyboards for the ASUS seem to be quite widely available at prices between £ 10 and £ 30 UK, just google for 'Asus K601J keyboard'. You will also find references from this search to a number of YouTube vids on how to do it.

If the vids show the job not to be too technically demanding it would be worth considering. You wouldn't get a new laptop for that money !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 larrymoencurly

larrymoencurly

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

If you spill something into a laptop computer, one of the first things you should do is turn off the power, including by removing the  battery, preferably also the clock battery (much more difficult).

Hold the computer upside down and spray isopropyl alcohol into the keyboard, and let it drip out.    Keep the computer facing downward, and repeat a few times.  Keep the computer upside down overnight before applying power again.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

Just for reference, here is HPs approach to spills into the keyboard.

So what should you do if the worst happens?
Don’t panic. By acting promptly, you can usually prevent significant damage. If your laptop is running on battery power and isn’t connected to an AC outlet, quickly press the power button to shut the machine down. Then remove the battery.

If the machine is connected to a power outlet, unplug it. Important: you must do this immediately once the spill has occurred. If the power is removed quickly enough, the electronics inside will be undamaged. Then remove the battery.

Now you aren’t in any immediate danger, so you can start clearing up the mess. Blot up as much liquid as you can with a soft cloth. Next, remove all cables, USB components, cards and any other external devices. Tilt the laptop gently from side to side to drain it (without madly shaking it around) and place it upside down so the liquid can drain out. Removing the outer casing might affect your warranty; if you choose to do so, don’t touch the circuitry inside.

There is more info on that page, Well worth reading.

I also suggest buying a cup that has a wide base as compared to the top. It will be much more stable.

This is a example of what I mean. I use something similar myself.

Wide Bottom Travel Mug

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users